Big Sur?

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

SparkOut

Re: Big Sur?

Post by SparkOut » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:15 pm

jacque wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:24 pm
... the FM initiative because it's fixed a lot of problems with LC Android builds...
Very interesting. I am very happy that this should be the case, but I am really curious as to how work on the FM initiative has resulted in Android fixes. The "bigger picture" view would be great to see, we only get specific BZ refs in the release notes. (I'm not being sceptical, just very curious - it would be great to see a list of some fixes or features for Android that would remain unavailable but for FM development. )

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:59 pm

Well, I'm not sure they'd be unavailable except for FMP but their execution was accelerated because of it. I honestly can't remember all the fixes that have been steadily rolling in, but in general Android used to get less attention than iOS. Now they have become equal partners. Most of what I was happy to see were improvements to screen redraws, especially when using fullscreenMode where there were several issues, and also the implementation of appropriate mouse messages when using native scrollers. There was also a workaround fix for the inability to set a native scroller position to anything other than zero. I've seen improvements to Android performance in general, but I couldn't tell you the bug report numbers.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:19 pm

M1 Mac 11.2.3

I have noticed that the IDE loses the ability to debug. Red dots ignored and literal "breakpoint" commands. If I restart LC then debugging returns. This entails a restart of LC at least once in a working day.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:52 pm

Bernard wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:19 pm
M1 Mac 11.2.3

I have noticed that the IDE loses the ability to debug. Red dots ignored and literal "breakpoint" commands. If I restart LC then debugging returns. This entails a restart of LC at least once in a working day.
There was some cleanup work done on breakpoints a few versions ago.

Which LC version do you have installed?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Sorry Richard, should have said. It's 9.6.2

I have to hope that others will start experiencing it because I can't see how I'm going to identify a reproducible situation.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:09 pm

Thanks, Bernard. I'll spend some time with the debugger to see what I can find.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:49 pm

Bernard wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:19 pm
M1 Mac 11.2.3

I think I've begun to isolate what's going on.

It appears that with "remote debugging" of an Android app running on an Android device, breakpoints will no longer be operable in the IDE's script editor until one closes the App on the Android device. I've now seen this enough times to know if the Script Editor breakpoints no longer work to check my Android device and then close the running app. I'm now getting consistent behaviour on this.

I'm wondering if this bug affects remote debugging on iOS or even on other platforms. Since probably fewer than 1% of users have got remote debugging (as it's in the Business Edition) that others have not seen this.

As Jacque is using Mac/Android I'd expect her to be able to verify/discount my explanation. It's possible this was happening before on earlier versions on Mac and even Windows, as I did notice there were times when breakpoints were unreliable.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:55 pm

Breakpoints are stored as custom properties of the stack and saved when the app is built. Remote debugging is always on when you use the Test button in the toolbar; when building a standalone you need to include it specifically.

Since the breakpoints are part of the stack, they are only active when running that particular version of the app. When remote debugging kicks in, the remote script is displayed in the editor, which you can identify because the script name in the tab at the top is preceded by the word "Remote:". You can add or remove red dot breakpoints while the remote session is active but changing the script itself isn't possible and your red-dot breakpoint changes will only apply to the app on the device. Hard-coded "breakpoint" commands are part of the remote script so they can't be altered.

If you try to update the remote script and run it from the local stack, nothing will change because that copy of the script only applies to the test app. To get back to the actual IDE copy of the script you need to close the remote app, which returns control to the local copy.

Does that fit with your experience?

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi Jacque, That all fits, as far as it goes.

My problem is not my misunderstanding that. My problem is that I have to kill the program in the Android device IF I want to be able to work again with breakpoints in the IDE.

So I would expect you also to have this problem. At this point where breakpoints no longer work, there will be no tab open in the Script Editor that say "Remote..." i.e. all open scripts are from the stack that is open in the IDE i.e. local scripts.

For a long time I was resolving this by restarting the IDE. Then a few days ago I realised that if I just terminated the app in Android, debugging would once again work in the IDE. Maybe this is how it must work :wink: But it took me months to recognize what was going on.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:07 pm

If you are just closing the editor window, I'd guess that LC is still running the remote copy. When I close the remote app, the script window disappears by itself and the local copy replaces it (if I remember right.)

How are you removing the remote editor window?

stam

Post by stam » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:41 pm

On MacOS Big Sur 11.5.1, I regularly experience this in 9.6.3 and to a lesser extent in 9.6.2 RC2.
Breakpoints no longer break; if i restart the IDE then they work (no remote debugging - at present just doing a desktop app with LiveCloud backend)

I also end up with unresponsive IDE after period of time.

Snooping around, i see that LiveCode is occupying > 5 Gb(!) VM, and my free RAM was < 20 Mb, where normally it would be 3-5 Gb.

I suspect the 2 are linked but haven't had time to properly check - also not sure of the contributions of extras like the widgets or LiveCloud libraries running... but there is possibly a memory leak somewhere...

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:20 am

jacque wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:07 pm
If you are just closing the editor window, I'd guess that LC is still running the remote copy. When I close the remote app, the script window disappears by itself and the local copy replaces it (if I remember right.)

How are you removing the remote editor window?
In my experience breakpoints within IDE will not work even if no breakpoint is ever triggered in an Android app, while there is an Android app running that started with the 'Test' button. Here's the test I just did.
  1. Open LC
  2. Open a stack that will run on Android
  3. Put a breakpoint inside a button of that app.
  4. Click the 'Test' button of IDE to run it on Android
  5. Once the app launches in Android, in the IDE click the button with the breakpoint.
  6. -- the script won't stop there, but the script in the button will run (a "put the long time" statement will confirm it ran)
  7. Remove the breakpoint in the IDE, place it again (for some reason the red dot breakpoint has to be "refreshed" for it to work)
  8. -- click that button again, and now the debugger for the script running in the IDE will stop at that breakpoint
I suspect you've probably been more diligent than I in closing the app on the Android device. I do now at least know when breakpoints stop working to check if the stack is running on the Android device.

Whether or not this is a bug or expected behaviour, I don't know. For it to be expected behaviour I guess it should at least be the same with an app launched on iOS using the 'Test' button.

Return to “Mac OS”