Big Sur?

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Big Sur?

Post by richmond62 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:46 am

Running LC 9.6.1 on macOS 11.1 with no obvious problems.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:12 pm

SteveWoodward wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:56 pm
I found that all of the code related to my data grid has vanished. I had handlers for row clicks amongst other things.
I'd be very surprised if script loss was related to the OS update. It's almost certainly something else.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

SteveWoodward

Post by SteveWoodward » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:24 pm

Sorry my full time job is insane this time of year. I restored a backup, and still do not have the handlers that I had originally coded. I had compiled a standalone app before Big Sur, and when I run that app the data grid does everything that I had implemented. Very strange! With some time off now I'll dig into this further and let you all know what I find.

SteveWoodward

Post by SteveWoodward » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:27 pm

So what I have found is that I am missing the "Edit Script" (and "Inspect Object") button from the Object Inspector window. Is there a way to get to the code via another way? I'd post a screen shot but I can't seem to post images here.

Thanks.

Steve W

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:57 pm

Are those button actually missing, or just dimmed? If they are dimmed, it means there is no behavior assigned to the object. You may have to select a control inside the datagrid. If you can't do that be sure "select grouped" is enabled in LC's toolbar. If that isn't enough, open the datagrid's property inspector and check "select grouped controls" in the General pane.

SteveWoodward

Post by SteveWoodward » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. The buttons are missing completely, I tried all of your suggestions. I am going to try to post a screenshot, let's see what happens.
inspectorwindow_small.jpg

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:12 pm

I see, you're looking at a custom property inspector for the datagrid. I'm no expert on those, but I'd expect most of the scripts to be in the row template. Did you try that button?

stam

Post by stam » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:22 pm

SteveWoodward wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:08 pm
Thanks for the reply. The buttons are missing completely, I tried all of your suggestions. I am going to try to post a screenshot, let's see what happens.
Is this on a backed up stack or the the current problematic stack?
This isn't a problem that anyone else has reproduced on Big Sur as far as i know, which suggests is may be local corruption but i am no expert... were you able to retrieve a backup?

Perhaps the data grid template stack is damage or deleted?
Go to Project browser -> your main stack -> data grid templates -> The card on which the datagrid resides -> Behaviour script and click on the script lines icon (the white square withe the numbers)

If this doesn't exist then either it's been accidentally deleted or there's been a corruption issue -- the fact that the buttons are missing suggest there may be a deeper problem with your stack and i would restore from last sane backup, unless a liveCode guru can help with more specific advice?

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:35 pm

erm...

well i too have now encountered a similar error.

The data grid is a 'shell' of it's former self. All controls are now inaccessible -- not 'edit script' or 'row template' buttons.
The layout is preserved but there is no way to access any of this.

in fact the data grid has renamed itself to dgAlternatingRowsMask
There is now no corresponding entry in
I can see no way to recover this - and am forced to rebuild this from scratch.

However i'm very concerned this may be a recurring issue. Any one else have similar issues?

-------------------------
EDIT:
I found that the listbox has likely been ungrouped; there are several components of this on the card, including dgBackgroud and dgListMask all stacked on top of each other. Re-grouping them does not re-form the data grid sadly, but I was able to retrieve a lot of the code i had in this through the document browser.

I'm not clear how this happened - either i accidentally ungrouped this (seems unlikely) or there is some kind of bug doing this, but it's very concerning...

SteveWoodward

Post by SteveWoodward » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi all,

Recently released rc2 did not change the data grid issue. I still cannot access the scripts I wrote. This is pretty disheartening. The main functionality of my application is lost without being able to respond to rows being selected in the grid. The tutorial for working with grid data implies that you do not have to edit the group, you should be able to access the scripts for the data grid group as a whole:

https://lessons.livecode.com/m/datagrid ... -or-column

The Edit Script button is missing from the inspector.

I'm putting this on the back burner for a while, I hope others have better luck.

Steve W

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:42 am

@SteveWoodward

Hi Steve, intrigued by your issues.
I notice the screenshot shows that you are using a "table" form of the DG.
In the screenshot you are displaying the 2nd tab of the DG'd property inspector.
This is for general DG properties.
I think you need to go to the 4th tab,"columns".
Click on one of the columns in the list.
At the bottom of the inspector there is a "Column Behaviour" button.
If there is a script associated with that column the button will be enabled.
I don't think there is anywhere else you could put a script for a row (well a cell in this case) unless you wanted it to apply to every cell (i.e. all columns) of a row in which case you would probably use the actual group script of the DG (which is available via the little "script" icon at the top edge of the PI.

The examples in the lesson you referred to are for the "form" form of the DG which does not apply in your case (hence that is why the inspector looks different.)

James

SteveWoodward

Post by SteveWoodward » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:00 pm

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply.

I have always worked with the table form of the DG from the beginning. I never edited column scripts at all, I had functions that responded to the DG as a whole that contained a lot of functionality. For example, what row was selected, populating text fields with the contents of that row, etc. I was responding to mouseUp events as if the DG were a button. It all worked very well until Big Sur. Sadly I have no way of retrieving that code it seems, all I have left is a standalone application that was built a few months ago that functions exactly as I had intended.

I believe that what I was doing was right clicking the DG and selecting "Edit Behavior Script". When I do that now all code is gone. But it does offer handlers such as mouseUp, so I believe this is where I was working in the past.

I took a look at the Columns tab as you mentioned and the Column Behavior button is grayed out, whether I have the DG grouped or ungrouped (or editing group).

At this point I am going to see if I can retrieve any of the code from backup versions of the project file in a text editor.

Thanks for putting some thought into this.

Steve W

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi Steve,

In the inspector along the top header row there is a small icon for the group’s script (well the script that corresponds to whatever the inspector is looking at.) When you click on that what do you get? Is it the same “behaviour” script you just mentioned?

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi Steve,
The other possibility is that you followed the example given in the lesson “ How Do I Override the Default Behavior for Rendering Data to a Cell?” which instructs you modify the default column behavior. In this lesson you are instructed to set the default column behavior to a button you have created where the script of that button is the column’s new behavior. Do you have any hidden buttons with behavior scripts?

SteveWoodward

Post by SteveWoodward » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:13 pm

jameshale wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:18 pm
Hi Steve,

In the inspector along the top header row there is a small icon for the group’s script (well the script that corresponds to whatever the inspector is looking at.) When you click on that what do you get? Is it the same “behaviour” script you just mentioned?
No, it's the script file for the group, with a small number of handlers available that apply to the group. The behavior script for the DG allows for a much larger list of handlers, most of which apply to buttons. I believe this is where I did most of my coding related to handling row clicks etc. In mouseUp I would get the number of the selected row and work with that data.

Thanks.

Steve W

Return to “Mac OS”