Project Browser

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ChristianBC

Project Browser

Post by ChristianBC » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 am

Hello,

I have some strange behavior from the Project Browser. Tree links are misaligned and sometimes I have an empty space of many lines in the tree.

I have Indy 9 dot 5, macos Sierra. (putting the version with a real dot blocks the message)

I don't have permission to post an image or a link. Maybe because I have not been here very long.

(but I think I have an account with my old email...)

Have you ever seen this problem too?

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Project Browser

Post by bn » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 am

Hi Christian,

The Project Browser has some quirks. I see the same problems you see. For me it happens when the Project Browser refreshes itself and is expanded over two level deep. For example when I open a new stack.

What helps is to change the textsize this rebuilds the Project Browser most of the time. If that fails you have to close and restart the Project Browser.

Kind regards
Bernd

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:10 am

ChristianBC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 am
I have Indy 9 dot 5, macos Sierra. (putting the version with a real dot blocks the message)
I don't have permission to post an image or a link. Maybe because I have not been here very long.
You are exactly correct, you will be able to post links, images, and text that looks like a link in the parser in about 2 or so more posts.

ChristianBC

Post by ChristianBC » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:31 pm

Well, as long as it is easy to write our personal version of the Project Browser (list recursively all object in the hierarchy, this is difficult to understand why this is not taken care of.)

Ctrl-click should also permit actions on the structure like duplicate (any object), delete (really, just closing and removing from memory, it always come back.)

While stepping into a script, the project browser disappears. I have to click on something like Message box button to get the menubar and then I can get the Project Browser. Can we add a simple way to display it? Add a button in the iconic menubar or with an option to let it always visible in debug mode or let us type open Project Browser in the message box.

I remember the Application Browser. I'm still looking for the Messages Watcher.

Have a good day!

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:38 pm

I remember the Application Browser.
I love the thing:
-
appOverview.png
-
Screenshot 2020-07-30 at 21.35.51.png

ChristianBC

Post by ChristianBC » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 pm

richmond62

Wow! Thank you so much! This is much better!

Doesn't it make the Project Browser unuseful?

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:21 pm

ChristianBC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 pm
I guess that would depend on your point of view, and which one your more comfortable using.

There are certainly 2 different workflows around those 2 tools, but the PB isn't all garbage (when it works correctly).

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:53 pm

ChristianBC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:01 pm
Wow! Thank you so much! This is much better!

One the contrary, different strokes for different folks. Personally, I prefer the Project Browser these days. I used to use my own object browser, but I got tired of maintaining it when the PB came along with good support for Behavior scripts. LC used to ship with the App Browser shown there, now left for community maintenance and distributed as a plugin. Geoff Canyon's revNavigator is also an excellent object browser with integrated inspector. There are others floating around in our community as well. As with Linux, when a system is tailorable everyone can have exactly the look and feel they most want.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 pm

I used the Application Overview for about 10 years before the Project Browser arrived,
and I suppose my continued use of it is "better the devil you know than the devil you don't."

They both have their own strengths and weakness.

Return to “Mac OS”