Runtime problem in MacOS Catalina

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Rob van der Sloot
Livecode Opensource Backer

Runtime problem in MacOS Catalina

Post by Rob van der Sloot » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 pm

My client who runs an app on his Mac has updated his OS to Catalina.
Now she gets a message at startup: "This app needs to be updated by the developer to be able to work with this version of MacOS.
So I installed LC 9.5.1 and made a new runtime, but the message still comes up.
What do I have to do? in 9.5.1. to get around this Catalina problem?

thanks
Rob van der Sloot

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Runtime problem in MacOS Catalina

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:32 pm

The app needs to be notarized and the notarization stapled to the app. This is Apple's new security requirement as of Catalina. It's a process I haven't had to go through yet but someone here may have links to tools that help with it. When I have time later I'll see if I can find the material I saved about the process.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Rob van der Sloot

Post by Rob van der Sloot » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 am

Just by installing xCode 10 or higher the notarisation will be done.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm

OK: here's one great big, goofy question:

Presumably a standalone I generate myself on my machine running MacOS 10.15.4 beta
works without any notarization because it is my own machine?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:42 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:33 pm
OK: here's one great big, goofy question:
Presumably a standalone I generate myself on my machine running MacOS 10.15.4 beta
works without any notarization because it is my own machine?
Yes.

LCMark
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCMark » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:35 pm

@Rob: It sounds like you are building your standalone as 32-bit only - in the MacOS pane of the standalone settings dialog, make sure you have 64-bit selected.

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 pm

Rob van der Sloot wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:49 am
Just by installing xCode 10 or higher the notarisation will be done.
I thought LC only built apps using the command-line tools. Does this also include notarization? There have been discussions on the mailing list about how to accomplish app notarization.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jmk_phd

Post by jmk_phd » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:27 pm

Consistent with LCMark's suggestion, the warning that Rob quoted at the top of this thread
This app needs to be updated by the developer to be able to work with this version of MacOS.
sounds like the one that's been displayed by recent versions of macOS in order to encourage end-users to prod developers into building and releasing 64-bit apps. So Mark's suggestion to confirm that the 64-bit option was checked when building the standalone is very smart.

Although we don't know from which macOS Rob's client just updated to Catalina, the fact that she encountered this problem just now makes me wonder whether this is consequent instead upon Apple's deadline for developers to notarize their applications no later than February 3 in order to run in Catalina.

Jacque noted that apps need to be notarized by Apple in order to run in Catalina. This may be true, but announcements from Apple include the weasel-words "to run by default" -- suggesting that (just as users have had to do for quite a while when downloading an unsigned app from the internet) it might still be possible for users to override the warnings by right-clicking on an unnotarized application in order to whitelist it.

Back in December, there was vigorous debate over Apple's new security strategies (albeit with a few replies colored by the usual paranoia):

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ap ... 0.2217037/

I've recently gone through having to rewrite an unsigned app to run in Catalina. Still, this was just before Apple's February 3 deadline, so things may have changed since then.

Apparently prudent about updating their own Macs, few contributors to this forum are yet running Catalina. Those who have are most likely to shed light on these problems. Not yet having upgraded to Catalina, I'd welcome their input. (For example, I wonder whether including files in a standalone still works in macOS Catalina, inasmuch as it's apparently no longer possible to access anything directly in the Applications folder.)

jeff k

Return to “Mac OS”