Community Server 8 dp 15 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

GregMc5

Community Server 8 dp 15 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8

Post by GregMc5 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 pm

Is anyone running the current version of LiveCodeCommunityServer-8_0_0_dp_15-Server on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)?

I was trying to just do a test run today via the commandline and hit a proverbial brickwall of an error:
In terminal, I typed:
sh-3.2# ./livecode-community-server /Library/WebServer/Documents/test.lc

And got this back as an immediate error:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libcurl.4.dylib
Referenced from: /Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables/LiveCodeCommunityServer-8_0_0_dp_15/./livecode-community-server
Reason: Incompatible library version: livecode-community-server requires version 7.0.0 or later, but libcurl.4.dylib provides version 6.0.0

The contents of my 'test.lc' file are just:
<?lc
put "Hello World!" && the date && the time
?>

According to the LC documentation, I should have received the following back (or something similar):
Hello World! 3/6/2016 15:00:00

EDIT
I went back through some of the previous versions of Community Server and the above error started occurring after LiveCodeCommunityServer-7_0_2_rc_1-Mac.
All subsequent versions (7.0.2 rc-2 all the way up to 8.0.0 dp-15) of Community Server are giving me the above error.

And for the record, I have just begun my trek into evaluating if LC would be useful for me to use. I've been following it for quite some time, but I haven't actually used it yet.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Community Server 8 dp 15 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

OS X 10.6 is no longer supported by Apple, and without security updates is considered dangerous to use. I wonder if a more recent version of OS X might have the libraries you're looking for.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

GregMc5

Post by GregMc5 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:40 pm

FourthWorld wrote:OS X 10.6 is no longer supported by Apple, and without security updates is considered dangerous to use. I wonder if a more recent version of OS X might have the libraries you're looking for.
I would disagree with the word "Dangerous" at least in the context of my usage, but I thank you for the concern. I've been updating my instances of 10.6.8 myself as I've been going along. I can say that my servers running 10.6.8 are FAR more secure than the current offerings from apple. There are still some rather glaring security holes that apple has yet to address on their current OSen. And to me, they don't seem to give much priority to security in general anymore in the last several years. This is my opinion only as I have been using apple stuff literally for the last 30+ years. I have been evaluating moving my servers to more current versions of FreeBSD, but differing projects always seem to get in the way.

So, I'll reiterate my question as to if anyone has been running any versions of Community Server later than 7.0.2 rc-1 on Mac OS X Server 10.6.8?

I tested 8.0.0 dp-15 on a copy of 10.9.5 (non-server) and the error doesn't occur. So, in the absence of anyone chiming in, I'll probably download a later version of the CURL source, compile it and see if Community Server likes that instead.

peter-b

Post by peter-b » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 am

LiveCode Server uses the system version of the the "libcurl" library, which provides HTTP and HTTPS communication capabilities for LiveCode Server.

It uses the system version of the library, rather than bundling its own copy of libcurl with LiveCode, because libcurl is a security-sensitive component which needs to have access to the system security configuration (specifically the SSL certificate store).

We require libcurl.4 API. Unfortunately OS X 10.6 only provides libcurl.3. This is not something we can practicably fix.

Furthermore, in general I would highly recommend not using an operating system that is no longer receiving security updates.
LiveCode Open Source Team — @PeterTBBrett — peter.brett@livecode.com

Return to “Mac OS”