standalone and installation questions

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

peter.s

standalone and installation questions

Post by peter.s » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:52 am

I'm just finishing off my first project with RS. As I'm getting ready to make it a standalone application, I have some questions about what to expect.

Reading through the support material, there is no mention of what procedure the end user will go through to install "my" application when they get it. Will my application use a generic installation window - or am I able to design one for myself?

Also - If I want "my" application to create a folder in a specific location on the end user's computer (with their permission of course) during the installation process, how do I do that?

Cheers,

P.

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:47 pm

If your bundle contains all the files needed for the end user you do not need to install the end user only has to drag n drop to the application bundle to the applications folder.

if your app has support folders in /library/ application support or something like that then you need to an installer, it much easier just to use Apple's Package Maker to either create a folder or copy your folder to that designation. It uses simply shell scripts. (Free with the xcode development tools) or you could roll your own and use shell or apple script to do the same thing as Apple' Package maker would do.

Here info from Apple on how to install;

http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... ion_3.html

peter.s

Post by peter.s » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:00 am

Thanks Obleo, this is very useful. Drag n drop is the way to go.

P

Nonsanity
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Nonsanity » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:43 pm

Any remotely-located support files can also be created by the app when it is first run - if they aren't there - from an internally-located template. This lets you keep the drag-to-applications-folder simple install.

Another tip you may have seen other apps use: If you distribute as a DMG disk image, then you can put an alias to the Applications folder in the DMG along with your program. You can set the background image of the DMG folder to provide the simple "drag this to here" installation instructions, with a big arrow to boot. :)
~ Nonsanity
~ Chris Innanen

Return to “Mac OS”