Classic Support

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

davec

Classic Support

Post by davec » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Hi

This is just a plea (and thanks) for continued Mac OS Classic support in Rev. I'm on the verge of buying Rev Studio for my Freelance work and have some work lined up to make a "legacy" application for a client on MacOS classic. I also have Classic systems in-house still earning their keep (Fileservers & documentation production) and have some tools I'd like to write with Rev.

I'm hoping that, because Rev has Mac roots in Hypercard, RunRev Ltd will have a warmer heart then some other companies who have bailed out of the shrinking market that is Classic.

I hope there are enough Rev developers out here who feel the same to convince RunRev that their efforts in support for this OS are worth it.

Kind Regards
Dave.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 am

The nice thing about Classic is that its not a moving target; Apple has stopped development on it some years ago, so it's frozen in time, unchanging.

This means that any Rev engine that worked on Classic in the past will continue to work on it today, and for as long as the hardware needed to run it holds out.

RunRev has announced on their mail discussion list that they would like to do one more update if they can find the compiler components needed to do it, but whether today or tomorrow sooner or later we can expect that the Rev engine for Classic will become as frozen as Apple has made Classic itself.

Most of the new features added since v2.6.2 have been in support of OS-specific elements Classic can't support anyway (window compositing, Vista support, Intel-Mac support, etc.), so you may not be missing much by just continuing to use v2.6.2 for Classic work.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

davec

Post by davec » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:55 am

Hi Richard,
FourthWorld wrote:
RunRev has announced on their mail discussion list that they would like to do one more update if they can find the compiler components needed to do it, but whether today or tomorrow sooner or later we can expect that the Rev engine for Classic will become as frozen as Apple has made Classic itself.

Most of the new features added since v2.6.2 have been in support of OS-specific elements Classic can't support anyway (window compositing, Vista support, Intel-Mac support, etc.), so you may not be missing much by just continuing to use v2.6.2 for Classic work.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm quite happy to work on a version a few back from the current release. As you imply, good enough is good enough.

As long as RunRev remains open to fix any critical bugs that might not have a work around, then thats all I could ask for I guess.

Kind Regards,
Dave.

Return to “Mac OS”