Fixing for Sonoma?

Deploying to Mac OS? Ask Mac OS specific questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jmk_phd

Fixing for Sonoma?

Post by jmk_phd » Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:32 pm

One of the few users of my app reports that it fails to open in macOS Sonoma 14.1.1 (error “pc register does not match crashing frame”) – presumably due to the menu issue mentioned elsewhere in the forums. The standalone was built in June using LC 9.6.9.

She’d had no problem previously, so I assume that her year-old MacBook Pro auto-updated to Sonoma between then and now.

Question: Will rebuilding the standalone using LC 9.6.11 be likely to resolve the problem? If so, is it necessary to run LC on a Mac with an M-era chipset – or, for that matter, even require using a recent macOS on an Intel-era machine?

I do have a never-yet-used M1 Macbook Air that probably could be updated to Sonoma in order to test the standalone, but for everyday work I still prefer using a trusty old iMac running macOS 10.15.

Thanks!

jeff k

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Fixing for Sonoma?

Post by jacque » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:55 pm

That should work. I rebuilt an app on my old iMac for the same reason and it was fine.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:09 pm

Yes, LC has fixed the menu problems on macOS in 9.6.11!
At least they wrote so... :-)

jmk_phd

Post by jmk_phd » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:12 am

Thanks Jacque and Klaus for the quick replies!

I suppose I should do due diligence: Download a copy of Sonoma, install it on an external SSD, then see how the rebuilt app runs in Sonoma on a M-era Mac.

Still, nice to know that after rebuilding the app using LC 9.6.11 and completing the tedious process of signing/notarizing it, there’s a good chance that it will run.

BTW, although anyone reading this thread probably knows already how to do so, I found helpful these June 2023 instructions for installing a newer version of macOS on a bootable external drive (so as to leave one’s internal drive untouched):

https://www.macworld.com/article/672585 ... drive.html

Best,

jeff k

stam

Post by stam » Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:41 pm

For what it's worth I'll chime in and state that I'm on Sonoma and both 9.6.11 and 10 DP6 work just fine and as expected.
There may still be an issue with the system date - a bug was raised about this (it always returned the US date) but haven't checked.

Best regards
Stam

jmk_phd

Post by jmk_phd » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:32 pm

Good News Update:
I've just heard from the user who reported the Sonoma problem that she was able to install and run flawlessly the updated standalone (built using LC 9.6.11) on her M-series MacBook Pro.

As a sidenote: In preparing the update for signing/validating/stapling, I did discover that I had to install Xcode 13 tools -- which for me meant in turn having to install at least macOS 11 Big Sur on a Mac in order to run these. (This was an unanticipated surprise and hassle.)

After a couple of days wrangling with Keychain certificate issues -- a whole different story -- I can confirm that Matthias Rebbe's updated LC helper stack works very well and made that procedure relatively painless.

jeff k

Return to “Mac OS”