How do you create a standalone application?

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

hope

How do you create a standalone application?

Post by hope » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi,

I have created a little program that is running well on my computer. However, I cannot figure out how to make it a standalone application. I click on "File" then "Save as standalone application" but I keep getting an error message. Is there something special that you have to do before saving a program as a stand alone application?

Please help. I am not a computer wiz and am stressing about this. I really need the application ASAP!

Thank you VERY much!!!!!

marielle
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How do you create a standalone application?

Post by marielle » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:16 pm

1. Did you first provide appropriate settings in "Standalone Application Settings..."? If you don't select at least one of Windows, MacOS or Unix, it doesn't know what it needs to compile to.

2. What is the error you get (the exact text of it)?

TR-i

Post by TR-i » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:49 pm

While this is an innocent enough question, even someone who considers oneself to be rather sophisticated regarding IDEs such as RunRev can legitimately complain about the incredible lack of documentation in this crucial area. I know that somebody is creating cross-platform applications in RR, but how they do seems almost to be a trade secret.

For instance, I've sucessfully built an OS X standalone (although the icon stuff doesn't work) that appears as you'd expect: a double-clickable application. The Win build is a gobbledegook of files and folders that I have no idea how to package (and of course, the icon stuff doesn't work).

I migrated from Director and have been mostly pleased with the decision to go with RR. But at least Director knew how to build a clickable Win app.

TR-i

Post by TR-i » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:51 pm

And one other thing: I've discovered that building a standalone will sometimes throw an error because it doesn't like the name of the stack. I haven't tried to figure out why, just know that changing the name may sometimes make it work.

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:11 pm

TR-i wrote:And one other thing: I've discovered that building a standalone will sometimes throw an error because it doesn't like the name of the stack. I haven't tried to figure out why, just know that changing the name may sometimes make it work.
The stack name is by default the name of what the ouput exe file will be. So
if there are any invalid characters that are not allowed on a Windows
system, that might toss up an error, maybe. I'm not sure if Rev checks
for that when going to compile.

I have since gotten into the habit of not even using spaces in my stack
names, just alpha and numeric chars, and keeping them as short as
possible. So I haven't encountered any errors for the compile.

Return to “Windows”