Community 9.6.3 save as standalone problem

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gnor

Community 9.6.3 save as standalone problem

Post by gnor » Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I have experienced something strange today.
I have developed an app 2 years ago and i needed to deploy to windows again. I haven"t touched de files ever since until today. I have deployed the app and tried to run it on my pc which has win 10 on it and some of the buttons does not even respond to a click. After a few attempt and 6 hours trying still looks like nothing missing i can think of. On the same pc i have licenced lc for android i have bought few months ago. I have also successfully recover the pc-s from the "printer driver" hassle that stopped my app to work on few pc-s.
In case anyone has an idea what went wrong, would appriciate your help.
Thanks
Ps: in the livecode ide of the community version everything works fine, only after deployment having problems with this stack.
I foond another stack i have finished few months ago written in community edition and it does not work in the community ide anymore. I opened the app in the paid version and it works fine in the ide of the paid version but not in the community ide which i used to develop the app.
Both stacks connect to remote servers in preopen stack. They open and hang forever. It seems they miss something or there is something preventing them to run. I have turned firewall and the defender off with no avail.

stam

Re: Community 9.6.3 save as standalone problem

Post by stam » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:47 pm

In general, if things are working in the IDE but not the standalone, it's usually some inclusions that are missing.
Might just be worth double-checking your inclusions are correct (I have never found automatic inclusion detection to work).

As you hint this is a networking issue, it's probably wise to make sure things like HTTPD, JSON, SSL and XML are included if used. Not sure what more to recommend as you haven't included your connection code - I presume the 'it dosesn't work' refers to what you describe at the end of your post:
gnor wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:25 pm
Both stacks connect to remote servers in preopen stack. They open and hang forever. It seems they miss something or there is something preventing them to run. I have turned firewall and the defender off with no avail.
Stepping through the code in the debugger might be helpful?
Or maybe just post your connection code?

S.

gnor

Post by gnor » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:56 am

Hello Stam!

Thanks for your time!
Please imagine the following scenario:
-you make an app with community edition and it works fine in the ide and as a deployed app on win 10
-next day you deploye it again, and it just hangs,
but nothing has been changed nor in the ide nor in the app, and there was nothing changed in win 10 either
-all other apps you have connnecting to the same database services runs fine.
-seems nothing missing in the deployed app folder, has everithing than the earlier deployed one has
Now i copied the .exe from my earlier one into the folder of the new, and the old exe opens the app, buttons are responding, sometimes connection made as well.
The structure of the app:
A main stack and 6 other individual stacks. The six stacks are copied in the standalone settings, they are not substacks, but for db connection they call the main stack connect and disconnect scripts.
The main thing is: nothing has been changed.
Seems something goes wrong during deployment, or something silently has changed in win 10. Earlier had a problem with uac, but i think it is not the issue now. I have no printer installed on this pc either.
Thanks

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:51 am

Wow that’s truly frustrating!

It sounds like it might be a specific bug with Windows 10 perhaps?
I’ve never encountered this with any of my windows apps (but then never distributed anything with the community edition). You’ve obviously seen that some have had weird errors because of printer drivers. You say you haven’t installed printers but the system will have some printers installed…

I take it other users have had these issues on different systems? Is there an option to build for a different OS to see if it’s a windows specific thing?

If not, maybe it’s an issue with 9.6.3? it might be worth trying with the starter subscription to see if building with 9.6.9 has the same problem. That is a small cost (a month’s sub will set you back about 3 Starbucks’ coffees) but at least will answer that question…

Let us know how it goes
S.

gnor

Post by gnor » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:26 pm

Thank you Stam!
That is how the files look like and they are all the same like last time deployed app. All folders are identical, all content are identical.
1.PNG
I haven't got a clue.

stam

Post by stam » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:38 pm

Well, the only things I can think that may provide more insight are
- test on a different PC, beta users, new (virtual) machine etc
- test on a different OS

It may make it easier to produce a cut down version with only the functionality you want to assess to see if the problem is replicated on your own system (but would also make it easier to share on forum or elsewhere).

S.
Last edited by stam on Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:56 pm

I generally save standalones from 9.6.3. Community about once or twice a week on macOS , Xubuntu, and Debian 12 without any problems at all.

gnor

Post by gnor » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:45 pm

Hi guys

Sorry for the delay...
I have found the solution, but still not sure about how could this happened.
So stack files haven't been changed ever since the last build. I have checked every words of them, and i also found the screenshot of the standalone settings i used back that day with the old files in a folder dated 2021.03.11. That was the day i deployed them for the pc-s and tablets.
The application runs on win 10 , win 8, win 7 and on android 7 and 8.1 tablets for 22 months now.
The app has let's say stack 1 which deployes as the main stack, and also 6 other individual /not substack of stack1/ stacks copied into the resources folder during standalone build.
When the app runs and the first card opens, the user has a choice to pick a database on the server. The dbAdress, dbName, dbUser etc. then saved into the properties of stack1 like : set the cADRESS of this stack to dbAdress etc. and
On openconn
Put the cAdress of this stack into tdbadress etc
All other six stacks use this properties to connect to the database like : call Openconn of stack specialfoderpath("resources ") & "\stack1.livecode"
After many attempt, i have changed this line in the code simply to : call Openconn of stack "stack1" and voila.....worked. I do not want to wright all my thoghts here, finally i deployed the app and started on win 10 and works. Now i have the old deployed and the newly deployed working on the same pc, older one with specialfolderpath stuff and the new one without.
I also tried to recall the conditions of deployment two years ago and i might used a win 8 pc back then with the last community edition as far i remember. What is shure : i havent touched my code ever since until few days ago because the first post mentioned difficulties. Also unzipped the android apk and that runs with the original specialcolder stuff like script.
I do not know what are the obivous consecvencies of all the above, but it might help someone else.
I do not know much about mac or linux, so can't say anithing abot them.
Thanks for your time and help.

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:44 am

This line

Code: Select all

call Openconn of stack specialfoderpath("resources ") & "\stack1.livecode"
Has a space after resources.. could be the problem?
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

stam

Post by stam » Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:31 pm

I’m guessing the space is a typo from manually typing in the forum post - without using the code tags it’s less obvious. Not sure it would have worked at any point if the space was in there…

On the other hand I’d never come across “call” at all (doh!). I’m guessing that it’s equivalent to “send” and “dispatch”.

However not sure I understand the point of it? Syntactically it seems identical to “send” but without the ability to do defer (ie no “send in time” equivalent) and does not make it as easy as “dispatch with” for adding multiple parameters.
Is there any special kind of benefit to using “call”?

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:31 pm

The difference is that call doesn't change the message path but send does. If you call a message to a handler in another card or stack, LC will look for the handler in the current stack"s message path. If you send the message to another stack, LC looks for the handler in the other stack's object path.

Edit: that wasn't clear. Call will find the handler itself but any objects or handlers the target handler refers to will be searched for in the current stack rather than the called one.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

gnor

Post by gnor » Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:05 pm

Thank's gentlemen...
I was about to write, but Jacque made it.
I use "Call" to call handlers that fills a few global variable i use across my application. The handlers are in the stack script of the stack which gets deployed, and calling them from my other stacks. There are no parameters to pass, nor need for what "Send" offer. It is my paractice which might not be the best but works for me.
It is always interesting to hear about other ways and solutions.
Ps.: there is no space after resources... I wrote it on mobile.

Return to “Windows”