JDK path is none

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ckaraca

JDK path is none

Post by ckaraca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 am

Hi there

I want to install mobile SDK but i can not success
JDK path is none same in the attach pic

installed on drive c:
jre1.8.0_71
and i am using windows 10 and livecode 8
Attachments
Capture.PNG

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Re: JDK path is none

Post by LCNeil » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:33 am

Hi ckaraca,

You need to set the "Location of Android Development SDK root" first and the JDK path will then auto-populate.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
LiveCode Support Team ~ http://www.livecode.com
--

ckaraca

Post by ckaraca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks,
I will try :D :D

ckaraca

Post by ckaraca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:54 am

I didnt success
Attachments
Capture2.PNG

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:45 pm

Give all suggestions here a try as they should get you up and running

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=25703

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
--

JoeMazz555

Post by JoeMazz555 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:49 pm

Hello,

I am a High School teacher that purchased Live Code Education (Indy). I am getting the same error of "none" for the JDK. This only happens on student account. On the same computer with my admin account, everything works perfectly so this is isolated to a student account issue. Android SDK and JDK are properly installed and works fine, can develop Android apps in Android Studio (which I use in a different course). It seems the student account's installation of LiveCode cannot find the JDK. Is there anyway for me to tell LiveCode its location? Does LiveCode use a system variable? How does LiveCode determine the location of the JDK?

I appreciate any help. Have overcome many issues at the start of the school year and this is my final one when it comes to Software.

Thank you in advance.
Joe

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:41 pm

Welcome aboard, Joe. I have many teacher friends so I know how hectic the start of the school year can be. Let's see if we can get that sorted out quickly for you.

In that studen'ts LC Prefs window, is the Android SDK field filled in?

This may be merely voodoo, but I believe I've had the best luck if I use that file picker once I have the SDK up and running with the emulator. May not matter, but my hunch at the time was that perhaps it helped ensure that the related JDK path would be more easily found.

I noticed you wrote that you see the "None" warning in that field, but are you able to build the app from that student's account within LC? I had one case (rather mysterious one I couldn't replicate) in which the JDK path never got filled in but I could still build just fine without it once the SDK field was set.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

JoeMazz555

Post by JoeMazz555 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:21 pm

Thank you for the quick reply, Richard. It is very appreciated.

I do have the Android SDK selected and actually tried selecting the SDK path with Android Studio open, an emulator running, and a physical device connected (because I knew these things were properly finding the JDK).

I tried testing an Android app with the proper Android SDK and JDK set to "none", and I get a "Could not compile application class" error, which upon research proves that LiveCode did not properly locate the JDK.

It is certainly not a Android SDK or JDK installation issue because if I log in to the same computer as an admin and launch LiveCode, the JDK is found and I can build Android apps as normal. Just the student accounts are having issues. Android Studio and Eclipse are automatically finding the JDK without issue on student account. They both use the JAVA_HOME environment variable, which I have set up. Not sure how LiveCode determines the location.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:26 am

Out of my pay grade. :) I'll drop a note to Support and see if we can get someone with a deeper understand of the relationship with those fields to chime in.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:53 am

I believe LiveCode first looks for the "CurrentVersion" string linked to the reg entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit

From this, LC then looks at the relevant sub key which matches the "CurrentVersion. On my system this is-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Development Kit\1.8

This subkey contains a "JavaHome" string, and this is what LiveCode uses to set the JDK location.

It may be that the student accounts have limited access to the system registry, so try trashing LiveCodes preferences (C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Roaming\RunRev\Preferences) and then running LiveCode as admin (right click --->run as admin) and then try set up Android deployment again.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
--

JoeMazz555

Post by JoeMazz555 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:41 pm

Thank you for the help, Neil.

I deleted the preferences folder and ran as admin, and that seemed to work, but that ran LC from my admin profile not the student one. I would have to type my admin password into the prompt each time LiveCode is launched. Not a pretty solution.

What I tried next was to copy and paste the file in the Preferences folder from my admin account into the students. This seemed to work! The JDK showed properly, and LC started to deploy to the device. But right before it started, I got this new error: "Unable to build app for testing: could not encode class bundle". Any insight on that error?

Making progress...

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi Joe,

This error is thrown when LiveCode cannot find/use the appropriate DX command line build tool. On my system, this can be found in the Android SDK directory under

/build-tools/24.0.1

Do student accounts have access to this directory? It could be that the preference file you have copied over links to a slightly different SDK directory and this is why LiveCode is having trouble accessing this file.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
--

JoeMazz555

Post by JoeMazz555 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:44 pm

The Android SDK is located on the C: drive so all users can share it and doesn't take up valuable HDD space in each user profile. Students have permissions to read and write to the LiveCode program folder, the JDK folder, and the SDK folder.

Still receiving errors.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi Joe,

How are the students accounts setup? Are they "standard" windows user account? Is access to the registry restricted on student accounts?

I tried to replicate the issue on my Win 7 Vm with a fresh Standard user account. I copied the SDK to my C:/ and the JDK/SDK populated as expected in LC.

Kind Regards,

Neil Roger
--
--

JoeMazz555

Post by JoeMazz555 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:08 pm

Neil,

I am trying to get details on the student accounts from the IT department.

In the meantime, if there a way for me to look at the info (open) the LC Preferences .rev file and see its content? make it is still referring to a location under my account and that is why we are having issues with the student account.

Return to “Windows”