What is the last version to support windows 98 & JSON ?

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

konung

What is the last version to support windows 98 & JSON ?

Post by konung » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello.

I need to develop a small internal app ( it will essentially be a macro) , that would run on Windows 98 and be able to talk to either JSON or XML api ( preferably) or MySQL DB directly ( if JSON is not supported).

All the new systems we run - run as a Ruby based api, and clients are either Kendo UI based pages, or mobile clients. However I have several legacy system in the building that need to able to talk to the API and do not support modern browsers. Hence the question.

Thank you!!!
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
Mark Twain

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: What is the last version to support windows 98 & JSON ?

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:51 pm

Win 98 in 2014? I admire your sense of adventure. :)

Microsoft EOL'd that version close to a decade ago, so while RunRev generally supports OSes long after their vendor recommends upgrading, I would imagine any version of LiveCode for the last several years would be dicey at best on Win98.

The XML-related commands in the Dictionary note that they were added in v2.0, so you may have XML support if you can find the last build that works with that OS.

JSON isn't dependent on XML, and various libraries in the LiveCode community for working with it are all pure LiveCode, so I believe those should be compatible for at least as long as XML support, though it may depend on the specific language features the authors use to parse with.

While it may be possible to research the various component versions needed to satisfy the request, to be honest it would seem simpler and certainly safer to upgrade the system to an OS that still receives security updates. Even on a LAN, things have a way of becoming problematic in ways that may not become evident until after a breach.

Personally I'd consider migrating the box to Linux, where current supported versions can run well on a surprising range of even older hardware. Even Microsoft has been promoting Linux as a server solution lately.

If you absolutely must stay with Win98, I can investigate this with the team to see if we can turn up a compatible version of LiveCode.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

konung

Post by konung » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:30 pm

Thank you FourthWorld, however upgrading is not an option or I would have done that 10 years ago. :twisted:
These system run software that requires windows 98, believe me we tried to move it to Windows 2000, XP, Vista, & 7 nothing works (not in compatible mode or even on a virtual machine)
We can't update software - cause it's closed source and supplied to us by the client. Can't get rid of it cause we need to use it to communicate to client's server ( that's almost 23 years old at this point). And client tried several time to upgrade it a more modern system - but their efforts went nowhere. And client is 60% of the business, so we need to accommodate them. So here we are trying to find a workaround for windows 98 in 2014. Unfortunately manufacturing industry can be very set in its ways. Most of our machines are Windows XP for the same reasons and we have some testing equipment that runs DOS 5. Imagine that. :twisted:

Anyways that is the point of my question, What is the last version of LiveCode that would support windows 98 and be able to send GET and POST requests over HTTP ( if there is no JSON or XML support I can just format strings on the fly)
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
Mark Twain

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:26 pm

konung wrote:Thank you FourthWorld, however upgrading is not an option or I would have done that 10 years ago.
Understood.. I'm just a Linux fanboy so I had to try. :)
Anyways that is the point of my question, What is the last version of LiveCode that would support windows 98 and be able to send GET and POST requests over HTTP ( if there is no JSON or XML support I can just format strings on the fly)
GET and POST have been supported since v1.0, so you should be good there.

I could check with the dev team to research this, but it may be even quicker if you don't mind sifting through the downloads here to see which can run:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

Microsoft has done a much better job with backward compatibility in their APIs than Apple, so even when a given Windows OS version isn't marked as "supported" it may still run.

I would try the builds there starting with the oldest first - after all, if that doesn't work we now nothing else will be worth trying. If that run, then move up a few builds and try that until you hit one that doesn't run.

If the oldest there (4.5.0) doesn't run on your system please report back here and I'll see if I can dig up earlier versions.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 pm

This contains an interesting point [especially as "retro" is one of my nicknames]: it would be useful to have:

A. A list of the ultimate versions for each 'dead' operating system.

B. Access to those ultimate versions at a reduced price OR free versions.

Return to “Windows”