LC on ReactOS?

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LC on ReactOS?

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am

Windows bashing.
Well, face facts, the idea of producing a clone of Windows (ReactOS) is daft.

Producing a clone of MacOS would be similarly daft.
Last edited by richmond62 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Yes, absolutely

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm

The only reason I started this thread wayback-when was because ReactOS was "there" rather
like the same reason people who are equally stupid as me go and try to climb Mount Everest.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:09 am
Well, face facts, the idea of producing a clone of Windows (ReactOS) is daft.
Producing a clone of MacOS would be similarly daft.
I tend to disagree, for any number of reasons, not the least of which is that the two OSes you mention are both clones of an even older OS. Sheep aren't the only things worth cloning.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:39 am

But I don't think sheep are worth cloning. 8)

Sheep can reproduce themselves without outside assistance.
-
agriculture-sheep-computers-gambol-gambolling-pc-rron538_low.jpg

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am

That would be a whole other discussion about populations and eating and so on. I might also mention that the subject of (the greater bulk of) these forums could be considered a 'clone', at least as much as ReactOS is.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am

the two OSes you mention are both clones of an even older OS
Odd statement . . .

At a pinch . . .

Windows,for ages, floated, as a sort of luxury window manager on top of DOS (it doesn't anymore).

The Windows 95 GUI was a fairly blatant rip-off from MacOS 8.1 . . . which was a refined rip-off of
something seen on IBM machines and the BBC Micro Welcome disk.

How both Windows and MacOS can be clones of an older OS escapes me.

At that rate we could claim that LiveCode is a clone of Hypercard, and it is not.

LiveCode might best be described as something that grew out of a clone of Hypercard (Metacard) with
a new interface strapped on the front.

That humans seem to have evolved out of tree shrews does NOT mean they are clones of tree shrews.
-
Screenshot 2020-01-15 at 11.32.11.png

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 am

Cloning considerations aside . . .

. . . ReactOS is largely rubbish as its pace of development is so glacial that people have been born,
got married, got divorced, gone into nunneries, had sex change operations and
died while it has moved from Alpha 0.4.1 to 0.4.12 . . .

And, as far as I can work out it can cope with fewer Windows programs that WINE running on Linux.

It might be interesting to know what the Russian government's agenda is with this as well:

https://reactos.org/project-news/reacto ... dom-effort

Why do I feel distinctly funny when I see the words 'Russia' and 'freedom' in the same place?

"The Russian Federation along with the BRICS nations are pursuing measures to rid vendor lock-in of strategically important software (http://minsvyaz.ru/en/events/33237/) and substitute such software with free/open software (http://minsvyaz.ru/en/events/32967/). As such an initiative would provide considerable benefits beyond that of any singular agenda, Aleksey Bragin decided to take part in that on behalf of ReactOS Foundation. Since October 2014 he has been a member of the Operating Systems workgroup formed by the Ministry of Telecom and Mass Communications (so-called "IT Ministry") and actively participating in its discussions."

Frankly that makes me sh*t 'BRICS'.

I particularly like '(so-called "IT Ministry")' because it is nothing of the sort, just a branch of our old friends the Okhrana. 8)

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:04 am

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am
the two OSes you mention are both clones of an even older OS
Odd statement . . .
Guess you could be excused for never having heard of a small company over here called "Xerox" :P
In any case, they developed a little thang called the "Alto", which was hosting the first purpose developed GUI interface, which was then neatly cloned by Jobs and friends.
The Alto became well known in Silicon Valley and its GUI was increasingly seen as the future of computing. In 1979, Steve Jobs arranged a visit to Xerox PARC, in which Apple Computer personnel would receive a demonstration of the technology from Xerox in exchange for Xerox being able to purchase stock options in Apple.[10] After two visits to see the Alto, Apple engineers used the concepts to introduce the Apple Lisa and Macintosh systems.
Since you seem pretty familiar with Windows history in the early days, it might also be of some interest that that floating window manager you mentioned was a direct result of Gates being chummy with Jobs at the time, when he neatly pulled the same kind of thing Jobs did at Xerox.

React is no more or less a "cloning" than either of those two scenarios.
richmond62 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:33 am
At that rate we could claim that LiveCode is a clone of Hypercard, and it is not.
Your the one that introduced the less strict definition of cloning in the context of this thread, Lc's language is certainly as much a clone of Hc's language (FAR more so than React OS is of Windows) than anything else. Your not going to tell me it is some independently conceived programming language, are you ?!

React is certainly not an exact duplicate of Windows (cloning in the strictest sense), it is designed to give a familiar look and to provide a way to run programs that (optimally) require a Windows only environment, without the licensing of Windows being required. Whether or not they succeed in their goals is something yet to be seen, but I'd hardly call it rubbish.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:34 pm

I'd hardly call it rubbish.
Any thing that hasn't even made beta status after about 20 years seems a bit "dicky" . . .

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:27 pm

Well, there is also the train of thought that says all software is *always* in beta, since no one I can recall has ever turned out bug free software.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:30 am

Tediously . . .

ReactOS has reached version 0.4.13

https://reactos.org/
-
ReactOS.png

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:16 pm

Wow! Whacky-doo, and here we are again . . . checking on ReactOS which is now at version 4.14

and the nightly build is set at 4.15.

https://reactos.org/

Ah, OK: 4.14.was released on December 16, 2021 . . .

"Burnin' Rubber" 8)

Return to “Windows”