Modifying IDE menus and making changes stick?

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jimwitte

Modifying IDE menus and making changes stick?

Post by jimwitte » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Is it possible to change the modifiers for the menus of the IDE itself? It seems like the IDE rebuilds the menu text of *everything* whenever a menu is clicked. I could use a frontStack to trap keys and dispatch the appropriate messages to the IDE, but is there a way to change the text of the menu items themselves?

Klaus

Re: Modifying IDE menus and making changes stick?

Post by Klaus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi Jim,

since LiveCode IS in fact written in LiveCode, you sure can tweak (and wreck :)) everything!
Open the "Application Browser", check menu "View" -> "LiveCode UI Elementes in list" and start tweaking.

Keep in mind that your modifications may need to be done for every new version of LC!

Best

Klaus

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi,

Several stacks are duplicated before they are opened in LiveCode. When you change and save them, they aren't written to disk. You need to open the actual stack without duplicating them first to make changes to the actual stack. Examples are the script editor and the property inspector.

I did spend some time on customising LiveCode, but eventually I decided it is a waste of time. If you don't like the IDE, take the MetaCard IDE and make your adjustments in that IDE.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Sean O'Connor

Post by Sean O'Connor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:32 am

Ok this is a fairly old thread but reopening this one as I have an idea(but insufficient experience) that might be worrth looking into if anyone is brave enough to have a go. ;-)

I know that the LC IDE can be customised quite extensively, ( the users guide even mentions this possibility but is quite sparse on what changes can be made safely)

I would lke so see an addition to the prefferences dialog that would allow easy changing of the menu fonts from their default state to a type and size that the user would find more comfortable.
the other would be the same for the tootltips, theese are very small print and difficult to read without magnification at least in my case and im using a 17 inch monitor!!
sorry if this is in the wrong place. perhapse, rereading my own post i should dupliate it in the feature requests thread, hmmmm.oh well all done now..;-)
when the going gets tough the tough get going.

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”