ANN: Calendar Plugin

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bogs

Re: ANN: Calendar Plugin

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:06 pm

fritzdekatt wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:04 pm
Bogs,
I neglected to mention that I did indeed check and set the folder in preferences. It might be informative to someone to mention also that I had neither a plugins or extensions folder originally.
Well, I can't imagine 5.5 not having those folders, since they existed all the way back to at least vers. 3.x.
Selection_001.png
Prefs...
Selection_002.png
Slightly different default location...
Selection_002.png (9.15 KiB) Viewed 13306 times
In any case, though, you *could* always drop it directly into the versions plugins folder...
Selection_003.png
Plugins everywhere~!
Although how that shows on a mac I have no idea. If your copy is inside an app folder, you may have to change permissions to access it, although I really doubt this avenue is necessary, I believe the default locations indicated in the above 2 pics should suffice.

I also may not have been clear enough in my original post that the place you choose for the plugins or extensions is the folder 1 level up from where your plugins folder actually sits, which is why that lesson seemed misleading to me.

So, for example, by default you might have in the files and memory section something like -
[ /home/bogs/Documents/My Revolution enterprise ]
Inside that folder is one marked 'Extensions'. you could probably drop it right in there.
I might be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear by continuing to use 5.5 (which is a commercial version from before they had an "indy" version). I can compile Mac apps with ease, but anything that requires XCode like IOS apps won't work at all. The versions of XCode required won't install on Sierra.
I don't do much with mobile, so I mostly use Mc for my coding, sometimes venturing up to Lc 2.2.1 or even as high as 6.5 (almost never past that), so I don't think I'd be saying it since you already have one of the silk purses in my opinion :D
Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.
No problems, just hope the responses are helpful as I had similar issues groking this part of Lc myself.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:24 pm

So, for example, by default you might have in the files and memory section something like -
Inside that folder is one marked 'Extensions'. you could probably drop it right in there.
The Plugins manager won't find them if they aren't in the designated Plugins folder. The duplicate Plugins folder in use by the IDE shouldn't be used either (on Mac that folder is inside the app bundle.) because you'll lose your additions on every update.

To add a custom plugin, search for a folder named "My LiveCode". If you don't have one, create it. On Mac, I believe the default location for the My LiveCode folder is in ~/Library/Application Support/My LiveCode but it may also be in Preferences (I moved mine so I can't remember.) Inside the folder create another one named Plugins. Put the calendar plugin inside that.

In LC preferences, set the path for User Extensions to the My LiveCode folder.

If it still doesn't show up, the stack may not be compatible with the old version of LC you're using. There isn't much you can do about that.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 pm

I just submitted a QR over the weekend on a related topic. Since we are getting more and more plugins that are maintained as repos (and with more people using network storage), it's probably time to redo the plugins handling so that more locations are available, and, really, plugins should be able to be located anywhere instead of just in a central place.
Even if we have a LC "store" where we can retrieve plugins and updates, it's much more convenient for everyone, I think, to decentralize them, or at least give the developer the option to have them decentralized.

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:00 pm

jacque wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:24 pm
The Plugins manager won't find them if they aren't in the designated Plugins folder.

That is good to know ~!
The duplicate Plugins folder in use by the IDE shouldn't be used either (on Mac that folder is inside the app bundle.) because you'll lose your additions on every update.
In this case, the reason I didn't mention that is because fritzdekatt is using 5.5, and doesn't seem likely to upgrade (much like myself).

I did think it might be located inside the app bundle folder, but I never found it that hard to reach it :wink:

@ Mikey -
I *think* in newer versions, there is a way to just navigate to a plugin and have the IDE add it in the appropriate place, but I could be wrong or you could mean something else entirely.

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:51 pm

bogs wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:06 pm
fritzdekatt wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:04 pm
Bogs,
I neglected to mention that I did indeed check and set the folder in preferences. It might be informative to someone to mention also that I had neither a plugins or extensions folder originally.
Well, I can't imagine 5.5 not having those folders, since they existed all the way back to at least vers. 3.x.
Selection_001.png
Selection_002.png
In any case, though, you *could* always drop it directly into the versions plugins folder...
Selection_003.png
Although how that shows on a mac I have no idea. If your copy is inside an app folder, you may have to change permissions to access it, although I really doubt this avenue is necessary, I believe the default locations indicated in the above 2 pics should suffice.

I also may not have been clear enough in my original post that the place you choose for the plugins or extensions is the folder 1 level up from where your plugins folder actually sits, which is why that lesson seemed misleading to me.

I might be trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear by continuing to use 5.5 (which is a commercial version from before they had an "indy" version). I can compile Mac apps with ease, but anything that requires XCode like IOS apps won't work at all. The versions of XCode required won't install on Sierra.
I don't do much with mobile, so I mostly use Mc for my coding, sometimes venturing up to Lc 2.2.1 or even as high as 6.5 (almost never past that), so I don't think I'd be saying it since you already have one of the silk purses in my opinion :D
Thank you for taking the trouble to respond.
No problems, just hope the responses are helpful as I had similar issues groking this part of Lc myself.
If you found that lesson you cited misleading, don't go looking for Tonto, because you ain't the Lone Ranger. However, armed with your caveat, I did again change the files and memory folder to move it one folder level higher and now the aforementioned plugin shows up in the plugin menu. It doesn't manifest itself in the tools palette but I don't actually know if it's supposed to (the extension I installed did, though it just says "widget"). It seems to work when I copy the gui date dropdown element however.

Your mention of your version of LC is revelatory to me, as I hear so much spoken of about the latest versions (true in every coding environment). I figured I was a dinosaur and everyone in this forum would be prodding me to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Actually, 5.5 builds fine for MacOS and WIndows. It's just IOS that gives it trouble, and that's on account of XCode. If I went back to my old Mac with Snow Leopard I might be able to use the IOS compiler (of course, then maybe the App Store would give me agita for submitting an app based on old code. The Apple universe, whatever its benefits, is far more unforgiving of age than the chaotic but tolerant Windows world.)

You say "so I mostly use Mc for my coding"
What's "MC"?

To digress briefly to your friend Jacque's statement, it might well be that a previous version of LC and/or a previous MacOS employed the Library/Application Support and Preferences directories, but my current MacOS, Sierra does not have Livecode folders within to the best of my knowledge. I know she goes back to before there was a Unix-based MacOS, so she should know and I wouldn't argue. For our present purposes, however, it seems that going up one directory from the Plugins folder did the trick, just as you said.

As she mentioned, the Livecode.app in the Applications folder does have "duplicate" plugins and extensions within, it being a "packaged" folder hierarchy that appears as a single file to the Mac Finder. The Externals and plugins that we normally see in the menu before adding any of our own are all stored in that hierarchy, just as they are in the Windows Program Files directory.

Unfortunately for our friends at LC, I am persuaded for the moment that I don't necessarily need to upgrade my 5.5 license, since experienced programmers are evidently still producing applications with versions produced before mine. I did buy Community Plus and threw them some loose change when I downloaded the standard Community and might buy their video lesson bundle so it's not a complete loss to them. Even though I finally got around to producing one ios app for my own amusement, I'm nowhere near ready to create an app that adds value to anybody besides myself.

I must thank you again for your investment in time and trouble. By the grace of God, maybe I'll learn something.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi Fritz,
You say "so I mostly use Mc for my coding", what's "MC"?
MC = MetaCard, the grandfather of Livecode, see here: http://www.metacard.com

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 pm

If you found that lesson you cited misleading, don't go looking for Tonto, because you ain't the Lone Ranger.
Heh, no, I'm more like the Shadow! Muwahahahah
It doesn't manifest itself in the tools palette but I don't actually know if it's supposed to (the extension I installed did, though it just says "widget"). It seems to work when I copy the gui date dropdown element however.
You wouldn't see it in the tools palette (unless it is an extension). Plugins are more like additional IDE palettes, or IDE helpers may be a better term.

As for old fogeys using old versions of old software and IDEs goes, we are in a vanishingly smaller subset of users in total imho, however your not completely alone. I might be close to alone in my preferences on Rev and Lc IDEs though, even Craig eventually moved off the 6.x series :mrgreen:

I think the older engines and IDEs still serve a purpose (in my case for sure) and they are simpler and I think less temperamental than the newer versions. Mostly though, I still program for a wide variety of OSes that aren't in the most favor currently, many unices, some older pre-OSX mac stuff, etc. The only engines I've found that will run on those are from the 2.4.x era or so, and I have no interest in widgets or doodads or geegaws, and looking at a 2 color IDE actually depresses me somewhat. I also like my IDE to be responsive without requiring the same hardware I'd need for gaming to run it. I'm an odd duck for sure :wink:

Having said all that, I don't have a problem with people wanting to progress to newer IDEs. If I worked with mobile or tablets, I'd probably go up myself, and there have been lots of new things added to the mix aside from widgets, so it is certainly worth most peoples time to evaluate them and see if what is there is needed.
What's "MC"?
Heh, that could be a loaded question :P
In the days of yore, the great and powerful all mighty omnipotent shtomper wizard (who worked for Apple) created HyperCa...oh wait, you already know that.

Anyhoo, after Apple threw Hc to the winds so to speak, a great many other similar languages came out, MetaCard (or Mc) was one of those. After RunRev bought Mc, the Mc IDE was open-sourced. Lots of great enthusiasts and very talented individual contributors chipped in time and effort to produce an ongoing version of the original IDE and have it use current RunRev (and Lc) engines.

I inherited the poo-bah hat from Richard after making a huge nuisance of myself, and have been digging through the code from the IDE since then, so I pretty much live and code in Mc which suits me right down to the gnits because it is simple like me :twisted:
I must thank you again for your investment in time and trouble. By the grace of God, maybe I'll learn something.
It is my pleasure to share whatever I learn myself, I think it is the best way to advance the entire group :)

I see Klaus popped in and gave you the really condensed version. GOOD ON YOU KLAUS! :D

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 am

If I worked with mobile or tablets, I'd probably go up myself, and there have been lots of new things added to the mix aside from widgets, so it is certainly worth most peoples time to evaluate them and see if what is there is needed.
That's the thing actually. Both Apple and Google now require that any new mobile apps target the newer SDKs, and I just finished updating Mac and Windows versions of an app I built 15 years ago for someone who got new machines and could no longer run the old one(s).
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:47 am

jacque wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:03 am
Both Apple and Google now require that any new mobile apps target the newer SDKs
We can discuss artificial software requirements for hardware and the evil of ridiculous rules later in the story
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Only kidding!

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am

Klaus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:26 pm
Hi Fritz,
You say "so I mostly use Mc for my coding", what's "MC"?
MC = MetaCard, the grandfather of Livecode, see here: http://www.metacard.com

Best

Klaus
Oh yeah. I remember MetaCard. When I knew Hypercard's days were numbered, I took a look at that, as well as Supercard. I gave up on the whole card thing when it was clear you couldn't do any database work with the paradigm at the time. Of course, that was before MySQL and MSSQL and SQLite and even before Visual FoxPro. Every power user was on LocalTalk and MacOS 7. The current website indicates that somebody built an inventory database with MetaCard, but the link expired so we'll never know.Thanks for the memories, as Bob Hope often sang (if you could call it singing).

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm

bogs wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:35 pm
If you found that lesson you cited misleading, don't go looking for Tonto, because you ain't the Lone Ranger.
Heh, no, I'm more like the Shadow! Muwahahahah
What's "MC"?
Heh, that could be a loaded question :P
In the days of yore, the great and powerful all mighty omnipotent shtomper wizard (who worked for Apple) created HyperCa...oh wait, you already know that.

Anyhoo, after Apple threw Hc to the winds so to speak, a great many other similar languages came out, MetaCard (or Mc) was one of those. After RunRev bought Mc, the Mc IDE was open-sourced. Lots of great enthusiasts and very talented individual contributors chipped in time and effort to produce an ongoing version of the original IDE and have it use current RunRev (and Lc) engines.

I inherited the poo-bah hat from Richard after making a huge nuisance of myself, and have been digging through the code from the IDE since then, so I pretty much live and code in Mc which suits me right down to the gnits because it is simple like me :twisted:

I see Klaus popped in and gave you the really condensed version. GOOD ON YOU KLAUS! :D
Wow, that's quite a thread. Like my brother the mason who likes to mix cement the way the Romans did because their buildings seem to last longer, who had an analog wireless phone in his truck the size of his steering wheel, you are a professional anachronism. Everybody my age dabbles at the art because everything we're fond of happened forty years ago. But you have gone the extra mile and devoted yourself to code that every single coroner in the world has stuck a fork in and declared dead. You are indeed a rare spirit.

Well, if your friend Richard couldn't talk you out of it, who am I to try? I even used to program Visual FoxPro for websites and ran my inventory database over LocalTalk, so I'm right behind you. If Apple's phones weren't so pretty, I'd still be on my 20 dollar flip phone plan.

The metacard site clearly indicates that folks like yourself have indeed created some pretty clever applications. At least you don't have to worry if you need to update your .NET framework to 4.6 just to run your weather app.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:18 pm

fritzdekatt wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:51 am
I gave up on the whole card thing when it was clear you couldn't do any database work with the paradigm at the time.
Well, I suppose that depends on what you mean by 'database work'. I never did a lot of that, but when I started programming we had to write a lot of our stuff from scratch, mostly using flat-files (and sometimes lots of them).
I remember staring in wonder when Ms introduced Visual studio (by that point I had finally moved off DOS 6.2). I have played with VF and VB as well during that period. Of course, I went into 'nix land shortly thereafter :wink:

I've seen a number of dbs created in card languages from way back then, and while they were not sqlite lets say, they are certainly (or can be) as robust as any scheme that was around for the time. I think Richard said that the main draw back was that at around some several thousand records, it starts to slow down a bit :shock:

I also have all the 'Road To...' movies and watch those quite a lot :D
fritzdekatt wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:33 pm
But you have gone the extra mile and devoted yourself to code that every single coroner in the world has stuck a fork in and declared dead.
<sic>
If Apple's phones weren't so pretty, I'd still be on my 20 dollar flip phone plan.
Shockingly enough, I have a flip phone. I don't use it very often, it only gets turned on if there is an emergency. My plan costs me 10. a month, I balked at paying 20. a month for what I use a phone for :mrgreen:
At least you don't have to worry if you need to update your .NET framework to 4.6 just to run your weather app.
True that. Mainly though, and especially on the 'nixes I run, and even on current 'nixes with multi-arch, the older versions just run better / more stably, and will act and look consistent without GTK or many other frameworks needed. I find (and this is likely just my own use case, special snowflake that I am) that a field, button, and group are almost all I need. Everything else is 'gravy' since I'm not really shooting for looks and the like.

Funny enough, Richard's own Devolution plugin is very similar in style, and (except for having widgets available) similarly stripped down for action, which I find refreshing. We must have something in common for that type of IDE setup :D
The metacard site clearly indicates that folks like yourself have indeed created some pretty clever applications.
Oh no, those folks are light years ahead of where I am, I came late to the party and am still playing catch-up :?

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Hi there. Thanks for a great widget.

Is there any code on how to get or set this calendar? I am having a tough time using it.

Can this code be used:

get the selectedDate of widget

set the selectedDate of widget to pDate

If so, what do we replace 'widget' with? Most instructions in LiveCode are so damn vague.

Thanks.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:41 pm

karmacomposer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm
Is there any code on how to get or set this calendar? I am having a tough time using it.

Can this code be used:

get the selectedDate of widget

set the selectedDate of widget to pDate

If so, what do we replace 'widget' with? Most instructions in LiveCode are so damn vague.
This plugin is from an independent developer, outside the purview of the company's docs team.

I gather from the OP that it's a plugin, not a widget. If instructions for use are not included, given how long it's been since the author first posted here you may have to contact him directly, perhaps through private message if email address is not included in the package.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 pm

Mikey wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 pm
I just submitted a QR over the weekend on a related topic. Since we are getting more and more plugins that are maintained as repos (and with more people using network storage), it's probably time to redo the plugins handling so that more locations are available, and, really, plugins should be able to be located anywhere instead of just in a central place.
Even if we have a LC "store" where we can retrieve plugins and updates, it's much more convenient for everyone, I think, to decentralize them, or at least give the developer the option to have them decentralized.
Agreed, and I made discussing that the focus of my time with Mark Waddingham at the LC Converence last spring. We're quite off-topic here, but I would be glad to discuss current status of a more comprehensive add-ons solution in a new thread devoted to it.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”