ANN: Calendar Plugin

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: ANN: Calendar Plugin

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:55 pm

fritzdekatt wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:51 pm
Actually, 5.5 builds fine for MacOS and WIndows
"Build" is different from "producing a useful app". While older versions often do the build process well enough, the resulting executables are not 64-bit, and won't run on any system requiring 64-bit apps.

We're way off the topic of the Calendar widget here, but if there's interest in discussing the trade-offs of using older LC versions a thread devoted to that may be useful, perhaps in the "Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers" section (or any other that seems fitting; the taxonomy here is currently a mess, so use your best judgement on where to place discussions).
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:41 pm
karmacomposer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:09 pm
Is there any code on how to get or set this calendar? I am having a tough time using it.

Can this code be used:

get the selectedDate of widget

set the selectedDate of widget to pDate

If so, what do we replace 'widget' with? Most instructions in LiveCode are so damn vague.
This plugin is from an independent developer, outside the purview of the company's docs team.

I gather from the OP that it's a plugin, not a widget. If instructions for use are not included, given how long it's been since the author first posted here you may have to contact him directly, perhaps through private message if email address is not included in the package.
OK, fair enough. How do you use the included / available calendar plugin that is from Livecode? The command structures seem very close. Both use get and set. What throws me off about the Livecode widget is that the api calls it widget and there are pretty much ZERO code samples for me to utilize.

Can someone just write a simple get and set that would allow a calendar control to work (I am saving the date to a text file and reading it back in) or point me to a code chunk that would allow me to learn from. In the best case scenerio, 'setting' the calendar control would allow me to set the date and it just works.

Thank you for your help.

Mike

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 pm

karmacomposer wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:22 pm
How do you use the included / available calendar plugin that is from Livecode?
Does it include no instructions?
The command structures seem very close. Both use get and set. What throws me off about the Livecode widget is that the api calls it widget and there are pretty much ZERO code samples for me to utilize.
Getting and setting properties is a natural part of working with LC objects, whether they're libraries or plugins made with LC Script, or widgets made with LC Builder. In LC Script we have getProp and setProp handlers to allow all sorts of actions to take place with property settings, e.g. the DataGrid.
Can someone just write a simple get and set that would allow a calendar control to work (I am saving the date to a text file and reading it back in) or point me to a code chunk that would allow me to learn from. In the best case scenerio, 'setting' the calendar control would allow me to set the date and it just works.
I've not used it myself, but I'll bet the author can provide good guidance.
Richard Gaskin

bwmilby

Post by bwmilby » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:08 am

In LC docs, you will see “widget” referenced like that when the command expects a reference to a widget. You can see a similar pattern with other objects as well. I will agree that it would be better to make them more clear with something like ‘pWidgetRef’ to be clear that it is a parameter and that it is a reference to a widget (or whatever the case may be).
Brian Milby

Script Tracker https://github.com/bwmilby/scriptTracker

karmacomposer

Post by karmacomposer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:49 am

I've tried numerous ways to use set with a calendar control and it always ends up not working.

example:

Code: Select all

set the selectedDate of field "calEventDate"  of group "grpCreateEvent" to eventDate

set the label of button "calTaskDate" of group "grpCreateTask" to the english date
Any help is appreciated.

Mike

bwmilby

Post by bwmilby » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:26 am

For this plugin, the instructions are in the first post. When you click the button to add one to your stack, the default name is "cal". So, to set the date of that group you would use something like:

set the pDate of group "cal" to "2020-12-25"
And you can use the date that is set with something like:

put the pDate of group "cal" into tVariable
Brian Milby

Script Tracker https://github.com/bwmilby/scriptTracker

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:21 pm

@MaxV: I'm tidying up some of the forum taxonomy and could use clarification on this nice tool you've made: It's described as a "Plugin" to be used in the IDE, but seems to be designed as a library to be included in deployments. Can you clarify the role of this Calendar tool?
Richard Gaskin

baoancnc

Post by baoancnc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am

I tried to download and install this calendar app but don't know why it doesn't work correctly.

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”