Spider Diagram Widget

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

benjibeaumont
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Spider Diagram Widget

Post by benjibeaumont » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm writing an app in LiveCode that requires an 8 point spider diagram. Before I go ahead and implement one, does anyone know if anyone in the community has already developed one?

Cheers,

Ben
Ben Beaumont | Runtime Revolution

paul_gr

Re: Spider Diagram Widget

Post by paul_gr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 pm

benjibeaumont
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by benjibeaumont » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks Paul.. looking for it as a widget.. looks like I might have to get my LCB on! :)
Ben Beaumont | Runtime Revolution

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:18 pm

benjibeaumont wrote:Thanks Paul.. looking for it as a widget.. looks like I might have to get my LCB on! :)
It'll be nice to have a widget version, so I'm glad you're exploring this. But I'm curious: what in your workflow or architecture requires a widget specifically where a custom control would be prohibitive?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

mrcoollion

Post by mrcoollion » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 am

I have used a different approach to make diagrams for my users but they do need an internet connection for this!
I make use of Google Charts which provides a variety of charts designed to address your data visualization needs. These charts are based on pure HTML5/SVG technology (adopting VML for old IE versions), so no plugins are required. All of them are interactive, and many are pannable and zoomable.
https://developers.google.com/chart/int ... cs/gallery

How?
1) I copy the code for a chart into a file e.g. named mychart.html
2) I manipulate this file and put my application data into it with LiveCode (easy to do as LiveCode excels in text manipulation).
3) I put a Browser Widget on the Card and set the url to this file and voila there is your chart.

I also give the user a copy chart to clipboard option so they can use the chart picture in their documentation.

Just a different approach.

Again be aware of the big downside that the user must have internet connection to make this work.

Regards,

Paul

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”