Any XML Format in the future ?

Are you developing tools to extend the LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about the nuts and bolts of extending our nuts and bolts. If you want to use a LiveCode or third party Environment extension, visit the Using Evironment Extensions forum.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

lpnkng

Any XML Format in the future ?

Post by lpnkng » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:10 pm

This would allow more easier extension like for Toolbook (an hypercard product created originally by Paul Allen long before Visual Basic):

"In ToolBook, it is possible to represent a Book using XML. This creates opportunities to convert content in
other formats, without recreating all of the objects and functionality in native format. Developers can now
create tools, such as SumTotal’s PowerPoint Plug-in, which convert from an initial format into ToolBook
XML format. This XML can then be opened by ToolBook. "

dave_probertGA6e24
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Any XML Format in the future ?

Post by dave_probertGA6e24 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 pm

It's actually quite easy to create an XML representation of your stack(s) and save it as a file. It took me just an evening of fiddling around to get the basic stuff in place for this. Remember that XML is just a text string.

The fun part is when you want to use the XML for something! XML itself is just a storage format, but the tool to re-interpret it is going to be specific.

Either you would need a tool (plug-in) to open the xml and rebuild the Stack(s) or something else would use the data (eg. a different program).

If you use LC to rebuild the Stacks then there is no real advantage in having it as XML - especially as all images/sounds/etc would have to be either external or binary encoded in the xml somehow.

I personally use the XML process as a means of having a non-LC backup of some of my stacks. I don't have a rebuilder tool, but I'm sure I could write one if I needed it. It's a pretty trivial task.

Hope that helps,

Dave
Coding in the Sun - So much Fun.
Visit http://electronic-apps.info for released App information.

lpnkng

Post by lpnkng » Sun May 18, 2014 8:31 am

The interest is actually to use external tools to create runrev app, this is how you extend the ecosystem with partners.

lpnkng

Post by lpnkng » Sun May 18, 2014 8:35 am

OK seems it will come finally as I can read in roadmap:

File Format
We need to create a new file format that is extensible, allowing us and third party developers to extend LiveCode more easily. It is also required for projects below

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun May 18, 2014 3:40 pm

What sort of external tools did you have in mind?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Making IDE Plugins”