Options for export snapshot on Livecode Server

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

istech

Options for export snapshot on Livecode Server

Post by istech » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:31 pm

Hi there,

I hope you all are safe and well.

I have been looking into what I can do with the Livecode server offerings and I have been trying to find a way to export a picture of a stack/card. I understand "export snapshot" is not available on LC server is there any other options available?

Many Thanks

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Options for export snapshot on Livecode Server

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:05 pm

In the olden days that was true, but as of about v7 or so we can now use "export snapshot" to created custom images with LiveCode Server.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

istech

Post by istech » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:05 pm

This is excellent news Richard. Thanks for updating me. I'll give it a go today. Got to love Livecode. I normally use 7 and below and once in a while try 9 on some projects. Thanks again.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm

istech wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:05 pm
This is excellent news Richard. Thanks for updating me. I'll give it a go today. Got to love Livecode. I normally use 7 and below and once in a while try 9 on some projects. Thanks again.
In addition to a vast number of new features, v9 versions have become increasingly faster than v7, and between v7 and the latest are more than 150 bug fixes.

For my own work, though I usually ship with the latest Stable build, I do daily development in the most recent version available for testing (currently 9.6.2 RC2), so if I find any issues that affect my work I have a chance to see them addressed before it goes final.
Richard Gaskin

istech

Post by istech » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 pm

I definitely agree with you Richard. The new features are excellent and well needed.

I suppose my main issue in using the latest and greatest v9 under windows is I get a very sluggish development experience. When I type the text takes a couple seconds to catch me up (and I'm not the fastest typist). This is why I don't use it as much as I would like. I believe this is a windows problem as a few other users have got the same issue. Additionally, I understand it is still under investigation from L.C when last I heard. I still use the latest version releases to see if it is resolved by not as yet.

Maybe you can shed some light on the issue?

Thanks

Tony

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:18 am

You should find general field performance the same or better. The Script Editor has some new features which are very CPU intensive (auto-complete, real-time error checking, etc). Turn those off (Edit menu IIRC) as you should see some snappy performance again.
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:56 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:18 am
...(auto-complete, real-time error checking, etc). Turn those off (Edit menu IIRC) as you should see some snappy performance again.
Edit menu -> Options and you'll see them there. I might also suggest using Richard's Devolution, especially if your on 'nix. For one thing, it brings up the actual local dictionary with the guide, instead of getting sent to the web dictionary in a browser.

Frankly, I'm not sure why it works, it sure doesn't seem like it should but it does <shrugging>

istech

Post by istech » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:48 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:18 am
You should find general field performance the same or better. The Script Editor has some new features which are very CPU intensive (auto-complete, real-time error checking, etc). Turn those off (Edit menu IIRC) as you should see some snappy performance again.
Yep that was the consensus of the group. It definitely helps and is useable but I still find v7 more snappy. However, It still needs to be addressed as my rig is an intel i7, 24gb ram and SSD NVMe M.2. If this rig can not run the latest Livecode IDE with all features enabled smoothly on windows. Then L.C need to look at what is going wrong here.

Maybe a different post should be created for this as it's off topic.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:00 pm

istech wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:48 pm
<trim> but I still find v7 more snappy. However, It still needs to be addressed as my rig is an intel i7, 24gb ram and SSD NVMe M.2. If this rig can not run the latest Livecode IDE with all features enabled smoothly on windows. Then L.C need to look at what is going wrong here.
Sorry for continuing off topic but, yes. If this spec has problems running the IDE then the IDE has problems. However, I am a bit surprised because in small steps, I have found the 9.x versions of LC to be improving. 7.x was very poor, 8.x almost completely unusable. 9.x has not been as bad with the SE helpers turned off (and an exclusion for AV real-time file checking in the RunRev folders). Oh, and turn off the Project Browser except when actually using it, and never try manipulating multiple objects with it open.

istech

Post by istech » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:31 pm

SparkOut wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:00 pm
istech wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:48 pm
<trim> but I still find v7 more snappy. However, It still needs to be addressed as my rig is an intel i7, 24gb ram and SSD NVMe M.2. If this rig can not run the latest Livecode IDE with all features enabled smoothly on windows. Then L.C need to look at what is going wrong here.
Sorry for continuing off topic but, yes. If this spec has problems running the IDE then the IDE has problems. However, I am a bit surprised because in small steps, I have found the 9.x versions of LC to be improving. 7.x was very poor, 8.x almost completely unusable. 9.x has not been as bad with the SE helpers turned off (and an exclusion for AV real-time file checking in the RunRev folders). Oh, and turn off the Project Browser except when actually using it, and never try manipulating multiple objects with it open.
:D
Just to be clear it does not happen on my MAC. This is a Windows issue that I hope they will solve very soon, No point in having new features if you can't use them.

Oh and back to the topic at hand it appears to be working Richard many thanks. But more testing needed.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”