POLL: LiveCode Server deployment

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

How do you use LiveCode Server?

I haven't used it yet but intend to.
29%
I run it on a VPS or dedicated server.
29%
I run it on a shared hosting service.
33%
I have no interest in LiveCode Server.
9%

Total votes: 103

fritzdekatt

Re: POLL: LiveCode Server deployment

Post by fritzdekatt » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:29 am

I tried the old commercial server on the Mac because it already works just fine. I was going to try it on my present Windows web server out of desperation, since none of the Community versions would work, but I decided against it for the reasons you mention. Still, as proof of concept it might still be useful in pinpointing what I'm doing wrong, but bottom line I just ran out of energy to pursue this.

I have the 9.6 community server now. I tried it on XAMPP and USB Webserver, both the most current versions. I tried htaccess and the http.conf methods and failed at both. On Mac or linux I would have suspected a permissions problem but the cgi exe is executable.

I've seen your posts about how to automate this cgi installation process for various hosts. To my mind, just providing a guaranteed workable http.conf and htaccess files would be tremendously useful. At least you could try them out locally before sending them to a hosting account and necessarily introducing hundreds of new variables, even assuming that your hosting service is inclined to help you out.

I used to do a lot of things with php and that's probably what I'll do this time, because I really have nothing left to try with LC server. It seems a shame becuase there seem to be so many possible synergies between LC on the desktop and LC on the web (none of which I've begun to exploit).

Thank you for your attempts to move the LC server installation ball forward.
fritz
FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:17 pm
fritzdekatt wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:41 am
I went back to my version 5.5 LC commercial server...
Version 5 is nearly a decade old, missing out on compatibility enhancements needed for modern OS versions, and several hundred bug fixes. It's possible that some of the issues you're encountering may be related to the age of the executable.

I would recommend using the latest Stable release, currently v9.6.1.

Current and maintained installation guidance is included in the Lessons:
https://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070

Any guidance needed for edge cases not handled in the Lessons, like running XAMP from a thumb drive, can be handled here in these forums, or the forums for the specific server package (look for threads about setting up CGI).

If you use a current supported LC version we can usually rule out engine compatibility issues, and the remainder almost always boil down to paths and permissions. We can likely help sort those out and get you running before the weekend is out.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”