POLL: LiveCode Server deployment

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

How do you use LiveCode Server?

I haven't used it yet but intend to.
28%
I run it on a VPS or dedicated server.
32%
I run it on a shared hosting service.
32%
I have no interest in LiveCode Server.
9%

Total votes: 92

hliljegren

Re: POLL: LiveCode Server deployment

Post by hliljegren » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:03 pm

B: I use it on a webserver at our university. At the moment there are mainly small utilities for getting account credentials, getting results, etc. But in the near future, I will probably use it to build more tools that integrate several of our other systems. I usually create a tool in the LiveCode IDE first, then move it to the server and add a web GUI instead.

TorstenHolmer

Post by TorstenHolmer » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 pm

C: I have an account at www.hostm.com which is one of the very few hosting companies running Livecode server.

Up to now I'm using it to create some scripts which work as an API for some mobile apps for scientific projects.

I really like that Ii can be creative with Livecode on all platforms and devices and don't have to implement functions in different languages just to be able to use them in multiple usage scenarios.

I think especially for some kind of API functions Livecode server can be really productive due to its simplicity and development speed.

Cheers,
Torsten

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:21 am

Thank you for chiming in, Torsten.
TorstenHolmer wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 pm
I really like that Ii can be creative with Livecode on all platforms and devices and don't have to implement functions in different languages just to be able to use them in multiple usage scenarios.
^ this!

That's my attraction. LC covers as many platforms as JavaScript, but more sanely. :)
I think especially for some kind of API functions Livecode server can be really productive due to its simplicity and development speed.
Good suggestion. Thanks.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ghettocottage » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:04 am

Like @TorstenHolmer I have used LCS for writing API's (amongst other things) and I find it especially quick and easy to work with.

This past month I have been working on a Weather Station running on a Raspberry Pi out in a field. Rather than doing much on the rpi, I am just sending the bare-bones data to a LC server via my custom little API post and have my server do all of the work with calculating, putting things into a database, and producing a webpage with weather statistics.

Compared to working with PHP, I find Livecode to be enjoyable rather than stressful.

Having said that, I am a web-developer and have been working with Linux and VPS's for the last few years on a regular basis so basic setup, configuration and securing are second nature to me now. I can understand how those things can be major hurdles for someone just delving into that realm.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”