How robust is Rev CGI?

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ajoe

How robust is Rev CGI?

Post by ajoe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:55 pm

I am just getting started with Rev 3 and creating a CGI app. Testing is going well, but I haven't been able to find any info on the robustness of the rev cgi engine. For example;

If my app uses a rev stack to access, search, and sort results from database, what happens if 20 or more visitors access my site simultaneously? Does rev cgi and the stack know how to handle multiple user sessions, or do I have to program that? Is it even possible?

Thanks.

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:15 pm

The cgi will start a new instance for every access. So to say a own app for each user. But if you save the stack, then that'll be like all those users saving stuff into the same text file (hint: a huge mess).

If you do not save the stack, but into mysql (or another multi user enabled database) then there's very complex security measures against people overwriting each others stuff. Look at your database's documentation to find out what measures it takes.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

beix

Re: How robust is Rev CGI?

Post by beix » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:08 am

How robust you ask?

Depending on 2 very important factors:
1. hardware
2. code

It can be very robust if you code it cleanly and nicely even without the multi-core CPU and multi-gigabytes of RAM.

For me (lazy), I'll try to use the latest and greatest hardware available, as my coding style wasn't all optimized.
My one particular linux server, with 2 unit of Xeon Dual Core 3 GHz processor, 8 Gb RAM, running apache + MetaCard 2.5 as CGI (psql database at another server), RAID disk which setup over a year ago, served a million hit a day (all CGI, as static content from another server), having about 2 to 3 thousand users online at peak hours, and that's about the maximum load it can take.

Not entirely robust, but probably on par with similar JAVA setup.

--

Return to “CGIs and the Server”