[SOLVED] All is broken - Error 500 :(

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

[SOLVED] All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:37 pm

Hi,

I must admit, I can not be proud of me this time : switching from one server to another, I am unable to make livecode-server run and always get an Error 500...

I need to install it on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits (Webmin installed), SSH and SFTP. I did it already and it worked like a charm. But this time, following the HowTo and Russell Martin's great advice (bottom of the page - 05/01/14 comment), I am unable to clear the 500 error.

Using SSH, I was able to check if it wouldn't be a problem with my glibc libraries and got a nice " row 0, col 0: include: could not find file (/home/samuel/index.lc)" while calling "livecode-server index.lc". So I guess that the server is running perfectly.

Well, the problem is elsewhere but where ... Livecode-server is installed inside /usr/lib/cgi-bin/ and CHMODed 755. The index.lc file is CHMODed 755 too. As I understand, the Apache's directives should work as they try to execute the script.

Any idea ? Thanks a lot
Last edited by samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FourthWorld

Re: All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 pm

500 may be good news, as it at least narrows down the range of issues to those Apache can't figure out on its own. :)

Since you've checked permissions (and assuming that includes the permissions of the folder in the the LC server app resides), it may be helpful to dive into the tail end of your error.log to see what's reported there.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT

Re: All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:49 pm

Many many thanks Richard. You saved my day. It was a ridiculous missing link from /etc/apache2/htdocs to my targeted /www which was missing.

It works now and I will take a rest for the evening. Tomorrow I'll have to find where this "htdocs" comes from.

Thanks again, Master :)

FourthWorld

Re: [SOLDEV] All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:15 pm

I'm no master, just someone who's made a lot of mistakes and has just enough brain power left after all those to remember half of them. :)

Is this on a shared host or dedicated server?

The location of the web root is normally defined in apache2.config, so on a shared host you may not be able to alter that.

If dedicated, check etc/apache2/apache2.config (or at least that's what I recall; if you don't find that specific file look for something in that folder with a similar name).

Which distro are you using? Sometimes the apache2 config file may be a different name altogether (though thankfully most major distros stopped mucking with that years ago).
Richard Gaskin

samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT

Re: [SOLDEV] All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by samuel.vannesteBUSGvXT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:24 pm

It is a dedicated server so I will have full hands on it. The distro is Ubuntu 12.04 64 bits so the Apache2 was installed when I have installed the full image. After that, I have put Webmin. Perhaps Webmin does not handle all the directives and conf files. I will scout tomorrow in the file system. But you can't imagine how much your reply was a solace for me after some hours trying to make this work.

And I do thank you again for having done those errors you mention. I guess they were a long time ago :)

FourthWorld

Re: [SOLVED] All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:28 pm

It's funny, but when I was starting out 500 errors used to fill me with a mix of fear and loathing, because they're so non-descript. But after installing and breaking Ubuntu server several times, I've learned to welcome them as part of the learning curve anytime you start changing default settings. :)

You might enjoy this as much as I did when I first stumbled across it:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/5f1e3e155386959
Richard Gaskin

Pyrros

Re: [SOLVED] All is broken - Error 500 :(

Post by Pyrros » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:23 pm

I recently setup a server with Ubuntu - it was a bit of process to get everything running smoothly. I did not go the webmin roote, so I am not sure if this will help with the last things you need to do - http://activethought.net/setting-livecode-server/

Biggest problem I had was figuring out that I need to run "sudo a2enmod actions" and "sudo a2enmod cgi" to get Apache and CGI to place nice.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”