On-Rev: How about a "free" or "micro" plan?

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: On-Rev: How about a "free" or "micro" plan?

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 pm

bangkok wrote:However, the good news is... with the opensource version, it might convince regular hosting companies to offer to their customers LiveCode server as an alternative to PHP.

And users will be able to install themselves LiveCode Server on many cheap regular web hosting plans, am I right ?
AFAIK yes, you're correct.

In one of his chats during the Kickstarter campaign, Kevin clarified that he specifically chose to use the GPL for all engines, rather than using the more restrictive AGPL for the Server engine.

Under the GPL, most uses of LiveCode that we enjoy today could make use of the Community Edition, free-as-in-beer and free-as-in-freedom.

It would be great to see some hosting companies offering LiveCode Server preinstalled. Once the Community Edition is officially released, I'll be talking to at least one hosting company encouraging them to consider doing so.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Jacque,

If that's Richard's problem, then he should either say so or keep silent. I'm not the only one offering services where it seems relevant and I thought it was allowed to do so on this forum.

Richard, I suggest that you say what you need to say or just accept that I'm making offers here once in a while. In any case, don't try to harm my company without saying what your real problem is.

Bangkok, yes it is great that LiveCode will be open-source and over time I have good hope that hosting companies will be offering LiveCode Server as an option. I don't think that many hosting companies will allow you to install it yourself, especially on budget hosting plans, but as you have probably noticed, not everyone seems to agree on that.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Mark wrote:Richard, I suggest that you say what you need to say or just accept that I'm making offers here once in a while. In any case, don't try to harm my company without saying what your real problem is.
You may want to review the post that concerns you. Jacque didn't write "I think Richard's issue here...", she wrote "I think the relevant issue here..."

My interest here is only what I've written: Sri was looking for affordable hosting options to run LiveCode Server, and I provided tips for finding them.

If your hosting service provided what the OP was looking for the thread would have been answered long ago. But Sri's desire to use LiveCode Server was unaddressed, and given that On-Rev's pricing doesn't seem to offer an option in the range Sri was looking for it seems helpful to provide an answer to the question.
Richard Gaskin

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Richard,

If that's true, then I wonder why you're starting a long and cumbersome conversation with me. You could just have accepted my opinion that many web hosting companies don't allow customers to install additional compiled CGI apps as an opinion and leave it at that. Anyway, we won't agree and that's fine for me.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 pm

Mark wrote:Richard,

If that's true, then I wonder why you're starting a long and cumbersome conversation with me.
I didn't. My first post here was to Sri, simply answering the question about LiveCode Server hosting options that had been left unaddressed.

You could have let that go, but instead decided to reply to me with "Since you seem to be confused...", and then tried to cast doubt on the usefulness of LiveCode Server on shared hosting plans.

And even after I provided thorough explanations of why I know LiveCode server is a good option on many shared hosts, you've persisted in dismissing it without ever providing any actual specifics to substantiate that.

Sri's question has been answered, rather thoroughly by now.

May I suggest that if you have a personal problem with me, rather than continue to indulge in what you believe is my "confusion" here, please feel free to do so in personal email so we may keep this thread on topic.
Richard Gaskin

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:46 pm

I have no personal problem with you, Richard, but I can't help getting the impression that you are a bit too eager to criticize my posts. No, I don't need to get involved in a personal discussion with you.

Kind regards,

Mark

Return to “CGIs and the Server”