Problems with On-REV server

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

archimede

Problems with On-REV server

Post by archimede » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi
I'm new to on-rev and I'm trying to make it work, but no way. I've tried creating a simple ''hello world' test page with the revolution code enclosed in the php-like snippets <?rev ?> If I save the page as html, the revolution code isn't recognized; if I use the .irev extension I even get a 'file not found' error although the file is actually stored in the current directory. I've even tried the on-rev desktop application but it's just another ftp client. Where am I wrong? Thank you and let me know

sturgis
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Problems with On-REV server

Post by sturgis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:55 pm

archimede wrote:Hi
I'm new to on-rev and I'm trying to make it work, but no way. I've tried creating a simple ''hello world' test page with the revolution code enclosed in the php-like snippets <?rev ?> If I save the page as html, the revolution code isn't recognized; if I use the .irev extension I even get a 'file not found' error although the file is actually stored in the current directory. I've even tried the on-rev desktop application but it's just another ftp client. Where am I wrong? Thank you and let me know
if you use the .irev extension (if I recall correctly) it tries to use an older version of rev server, and it sounds like something has went wrong with that particular configuration in on-rev. If you want to use the older version you might mail support@runrev.com and let em know things aren't working in that particular way. (it might be possible the old version is being phased out, but I don't know. Support can help with that)

To use the current version of livecode-server use .lc as your extension and <?lc ?> as your inline tags and see if it works better.

archimede

Post by archimede » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi,
thank you for your reply. I've renamed the file and changed its content according to your suggestions but I'm still getting 404 error messages or blank pages with no content at all.

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Hmm. as you said, 404 is the not found error. Are you sure you have the case of the file right in the url? For the actual directories and filenames themselves, capitalization does matter.

For the zero content results, is there anything useful in there if you view page source? Mind posting the address of your page?

Just tried a quick test in my account http://guidezone.info/test.lc and lc server seems to be working fine.

The contents of the test.lc file is as follows:

Code: Select all

<?lc  
put "Hello World!<br>"
?>
This is outside text
Is it possible the permissions on the file are incorrect? (not likely, but who knows) 755 or 744 are both ok, even 644 is probably ok. (can be seen in the cpanel file manager)

Can you post the url? I'll see if I can hit it from here (if I can and you can't might indicate a cacheing problem on your local machine)

archimede

Post by archimede » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:30 pm

As a matter of fact the file permissions were set by default to 644. I've tried setting them to 755 but makes no difference. I didn't forget any capitalization, but I noticed your sample code, unlike mine, contains return before the lc end tag. Does this affect anything?

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Don't believe so no. 404 though is weird. Getting nothing is weird too unless there is some weird character in the file perhaps causing issue. If you put straight text above the first <?lc does it show? And if you put straight text after the ?> does that show?

If you used text edit (or something similar) to edit the initial file, and have "known extensions" set to not show (on windows) is it possible that your files are getting named weird things like myfile.lc.txt and the .txt just isn't showing? If you log in to the cpanel and go to the file manager, is the file where you expect it to be? The client sucks and has had issues, i'd avoid using it if I were you. If the file you are working with has ended up at the wrong location (If you aren't using any domain names yet the correct location is most likely in the pubic_html root folder, otherwise depending on how you set up any subdomains or fqdns names the location can vary greatly) Thanks to some weirdness in the client I have folders in both the root of the system (same level as public_html) and domain folders inside public_html. In my case the active ones are inside the public_html folder. (I set them up that way, the client went freaky one day and did other strange things causing the duplicates that are not live)

So. A 404 could surely be caused by a file structure issue. Still not sure about the blank page issue though. IF you rename any index files in that same folder, and then just hit the folder itself, I believe directory browsing is on so that you can look at the files in that location. IF you rename any index type files so that they aren't automatically loaded then look at the location is your file listed? And if you click it from there does it then work?
archimede wrote:As a matter of fact the file permissions were set by default to 644. I've tried setting them to 755 but makes no difference. I didn't forget any capitalization, but I noticed your sample code, unlike mine, contains return before the lc end tag. Does this affect anything?

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bangkok » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

Yes, it's probably a problem of file location.

You have to put your .irev or .lc files (both are working) into "LIVE" directory.

My point :

If your URL is

www.mysite.com/test/test.irev

then with FTP, you'll have to put file into

/live/test/

sturgis

Post by sturgis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:35 pm

irev and .lc are different versions of lc server (if I recall correctly)
The directory that files should be placed in is defined when a domain or subdomain is added through cpanel. I think the default is name.of.domain inside the public_html directory but the location and name can be specified on domain/subdomain creation. Either way, finding the right spot is most likely the culprit.
bangkok wrote:Yes, it's probably a problem of file location.

You have to put your .irev or .lc files (both are working) into "LIVE" directory.

My point :

If your URL is

http://www.mysite.com/test/test.irev

then with FTP, you'll have to put file into

/live/test/

Return to “CGIs and the Server”