UHD Radio app in TestFlight

A place for you to show off what you have made with LiveCode

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

LG73

UHD Radio app in TestFlight

Post by LG73 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:21 am

My second app for the App Store is "UHD Radio." This app plays fMP4 HLS 48 kbps xHE-AAC streams from 4 radio stations. Album art and ID tags are embedded in the HLS streams so they sync well with the music. Currently in public pre-release with TestFlight.

Here's the URL: https://testflight.apple.com/join/3HTqnpRN. I have an Android version currently in "Internal Testing" mode. The iOS version requires iOS 15 or newer and the Android version 9 or newer.

Made with LiveCode 9.6.9 (rc 2) on macOS.
Cheers,

Phil
LG73 - Vancouver's Hit Music Mix!
http://www.LG73.ca/

ersfund

Re: UHD Radio app in TestFlight

Post by ersfund » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:51 am

Fantastic news on the launch of your second app, 'UHD Radio'! The use of fMP4 HLS streams with xHE-AAC audio, along with embedded album art and ID tags, sounds like a great combination for a rich music experience. I'm looking forward to trying it out on TestFlight. Kudos on your achievement!

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:28 pm

LG73 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:21 am
My second app for the App Store is "UHD Radio." This app plays fMP4 HLS 48 kbps xHE-AAC streams from 4 radio stations. Album art and ID tags are embedded in the HLS streams so they sync well with the music. Currently in public pre-release with TestFlight.
Impressive to say the least. I sent you feedback (all good) in TestFlight.

Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:37 pm

LG73 wrote:
Here's the URL: https://testflight.apple.com/join/3HTqnpRN. I have an Android version currently in "Internal Testing" mode. The iOS version requires iOS 15 or newer and the Android version 9 or newer.
it's worth pointing out that it runs equally well on macOS. Did you have to do a separate build for that? I have not tested on iOS yet but will give it a go tomorrow.

Mark

LG73

Post by LG73 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 pm

marksmithhfx wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:37 pm
LG73 wrote:
it's worth pointing out that it runs equally well on macOS. Did you have to do a separate build for that? I have not tested on iOS yet but will give it a go tomorrow.

Mark
Hi Mark!

Thank you for checking out the UHD Radio app! No special build is needed for macOS as long as the Mac is running Apple Silicon. Version 2.1 is now waiting for review for release in the App Store. When submitting apps to the App Store, you have the choice to permit the app to run on Apple Silicon Macs or not. There is also the option in LiveCode to make a dedicated macOS version for both Intel and Apple Silicon but I decided to focus on optimizing the app for phones and tablets.

The Android version was approved this morning in the Google Play Store.

As long as your app runs well on iPadOS, it will be fine on macOS on Apple Silicon. I recommend testing on iPad with StageManager enabled so you can test the app with various window sizes on iPad. If that all works then it should display correctly on macOS.
Cheers,

Phil

LG73

Post by LG73 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:52 pm

ersfund wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:51 am
Fantastic news on the launch of your second app, 'UHD Radio'! The use of fMP4 HLS streams with xHE-AAC audio, along with embedded album art and ID tags, sounds like a great combination for a rich music experience. I'm looking forward to trying it out on TestFlight. Kudos on your achievement!
Hi ersfund,

Thank you for the kind words regarding the UHD Radio app! I’m a big fan of the xHE-AAC codec as it seems to defy the laws of physics as far as the quality of audio at low bit-rates. The version currently in TestFlight, 2.1, has been submitted for review for release. Main addition to version 2.0 is additional bit-rates available, all in xHE-AAC.

Google were first this time around to approve version 2.1 which is now released in the Google Play Store. UHD Radio 2.1 built with LiveCode 10.0.0 DP7.
Cheers,

Phil

LG73

Post by LG73 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:28 pm

marksmithhfx wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:28 pm
LG73 wrote:
Impressive to say the least. I sent you feedback (all good) in TestFlight.

Mark
Thank you, Mark! I'm happy to report version 2.1 for iOS has been approved and released in the Apple App Store!
Cheers,

Phil

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:11 pm

LG73 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:52 pm
Thank you for the kind words regarding the UHD Radio app! I’m a big fan of the xHE-AAC codec as it seems to defy the laws of physics as far as the quality of audio at low bit-rates.
I have to agree. Right now UHD Radio is the best sounding thing coming out of my M1 MacBook Pro. Noticeably better than anything else I've heard through these speakers. And I thought they were pretty good to begin with.

Mark

NoN'

Post by NoN' » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:56 pm

Hi Phil,

I've just downloaded and tested UHD Radio on a Vivo phone (running Android 13 / Funtoch OS) and here are a few hot-off-the-press comments.

First of all, I'd like to point out that it works perfectly. I've actually got the headphones in my ears!
But after that, I'd also like to make a few criticisms about the interface.

When you first discover the application, the interface is confusing. In any case, I'm not familiar with the world of high-definition radio.
The top half of the screen is taken up by very large text in which you are tempted to see something other than text (a link to a website, for example). Curiously, some of this text is replicated immediately afterwards, this time in small type. Only then will we understand why the entire top space is 'reserved'.

Then you notice the big green and red buttons and guess that you have to press them.
Press them, yes, but to start or stop what: an audio stream, a video presentation, etc?
OK, an audio stream!

The blue icons on either side of these big buttons are links to something, but apart from the one with the 'i' on it, you can't work out what it's for if you're not a UHD geek.
As for the line of logos under the red and green buttons, for a moment I thought they were possible sponsors of the application and it took me a few moments to realise that I had to click on them to select the origin of the stream.

In short, the way these different elements are arranged on the page makes it hard to understand the underlying logic. And as this is an application for the 'general public', that means that there are probably a large number of users who are likely to react like me :oops: :-)

I think that, as a guy from Europe, I'm not necessarily familiar with the radio stations you're referring to. But your audience will be worldwide...

I'm posting the interface as it appears on my smartphone so that other contributors can submit their own impressions and possibly their profound disagreement with what I've just written.

Screenshot.jpg

I'd like to conclude by saying that: once you've assimilated the interface, the way the application works is impeccable and I feel I'm going to be listening to some great music for a while!

Thank you for this.
Renaud

stam

Post by stam » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:21 pm

I think the interface is fine. On the other hand I've used a few apps/web apps for radio and know that a large part of the screen is taken up by branding and advertising as that's what finances the whole thing and what radio stations see as profitable.

I don't think it's too out of place compared with say the Radio X app (Radio X is my preferred station here in the UK). Radio X's app is a bit more advanced (eg shows previous and up next album covers/song titles, has 'catch up' features etc), but 'macroscopically' it's fairly similar:
radioX.jpg

LG73

Post by LG73 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:45 am

NoN' wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:56 pm
Hi Phil,

I've just downloaded and tested UHD Radio on a Vivo phone (running Android 13 / Funtoch OS) and here are a few hot-off-the-press comments.

First of all, I'd like to point out that it works perfectly. I've actually got the headphones in my ears!
But after that, I'd also like to make a few criticisms about the interface.

When you first discover the application, the interface is confusing. In any case, I'm not familiar with the world of high-definition radio.
The top half of the screen is taken up by very large text in which you are tempted to see something other than text (a link to a website, for example). Curiously, some of this text is replicated immediately afterwards, this time in small type. Only then will we understand why the entire top space is 'reserved'.

Then you notice the big green and red buttons and guess that you have to press them.
Press them, yes, but to start or stop what: an audio stream, a video presentation, etc?
OK, an audio stream!

The blue icons on either side of these big buttons are links to something, but apart from the one with the 'i' on it, you can't work out what it's for if you're not a UHD geek.
As for the line of logos under the red and green buttons, for a moment I thought they were possible sponsors of the application and it took me a few moments to realise that I had to click on them to select the origin of the stream.

In short, the way these different elements are arranged on the page makes it hard to understand the underlying logic. And as this is an application for the 'general public', that means that there are probably a large number of users who are likely to react like me :oops: :-)

I think that, as a guy from Europe, I'm not necessarily familiar with the radio stations you're referring to. But your audience will be worldwide...

I'm posting the interface as it appears on my smartphone so that other contributors can submit their own impressions and possibly their profound disagreement with what I've just written.

Screenshot.jpg

I'd like to conclude by saying that: once you've assimilated the interface, the way the application works is impeccable and I feel I'm going to be listening to some great music for a while!

Thank you for this.
Renaud
Hi Renaud,

Thank you for some great feedback! I agree with your points about the interface not being clear for a first time user. I'm going to work on an update to improve the discoverability of the app and make the default "album art" that appears when nothing is playing more visual and less text intensive. Also the buttons that launch each station's website and the live chat are vague and should include text labels.

That and anything else I can think of to improve the interface will be in a near future update!
Cheers,

Phil

NoN'

Post by NoN' » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:45 am

@Stam

Yes, I think my feeling is that of someone who is not very familiar with this kind of application.

NoN'

Post by NoN' » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:07 am

@Phil

Hi Phil,

With hindsight, I can summarize my thoughts:
for someone unfamiliar with this type of application, it's hard to understand at first glance what's information and what's interactivity.
But once you've got the hang of it, it works like a charm.

Don't hesitate to let me know about your next ideas/advances on the interface if you'd like the - inevitably subjective - opinion of someone outside the project.
But I'm already sure it'll be great!

In the meantime, I'm going to put my headphones back on... :)

LG73

Post by LG73 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:34 am

NoN' wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:07 am
@Phil

Hi Phil,

With hindsight, I can summarize my thoughts:
for someone unfamiliar with this type of application, it's hard to understand at first glance what's information and what's interactivity.
But once you've got the hang of it, it works like a charm.

Don't hesitate to let me know about your next ideas/advances on the interface if you'd like the - inevitably subjective - opinion of someone outside the project.
But I'm already sure it'll be great!

In the meantime, I'm going to put my headphones back on... :)
Hi Renaud,

Here's what I have so far re: interface changes to improve discoverability of the app:

I've submitted a new build for review for TestFlight and will do the same for beta testers in the Play Store.
Cheers,

Phil

LG73

Post by LG73 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:28 am

Version 2.2 (beta) of UHD Radio now available in the Google Play Store with this link: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/ca.emmers.uhdradio
Cheers,

Phil

Return to “Made With LiveCode”