A place for you to show off what you have made with LiveCode

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

MrAlobar

App in the Microsoft App Store

Post by MrAlobar » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:00 pm

Hi All,

I have published a Windows Desktop App call EdgeNotes
ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MXMG22FFMKJ

It's deliberately minimalist and primarily functional, and there when you need it, out of the way when you don't. I wrote it about 7 years ago primarily for my own use. I made a few attempts at publishing it but never quite got there - then a couple of months ago, I decided to give it one last push.

I'm very interested to hear the experiences of anyone else who has managed to publish an app to the MS Store.
To anyone who is struggling to do this, whilst I am no expert, I'll offer whatever tips and nuggets I can.

In the meantime, please check out EdgeNotes and let me know what you think, there's a free 7 day trial (it actually keeps running past that as I have not linked to the MS License API yet - that's my next challenge). But let me know if you like it and I'll happily send you a voucher to get the app for free - either way, I would be very grateful to anyone leaving a glowing review ;-)

One thing about the MS Store (and I suppose any app store) is the enormous number of apps and the almost impossible task of getting air for your app - user reviews, both rating and comments, are vital.

All feedback and constructive criticism welcome.

Jay
I've Created it with Live Code, I've published it - that's the easy bit done, but how the hell do I get people to download it :?

stam

Re: App in the Microsoft App Store

Post by stam » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:54 pm

Does the Windows AppStore offer a web interface?
Seems to be a URL that can only be used on a windows OS…
Any way to access the store entry without using Windows?

MrAlobar

Post by MrAlobar » Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:41 pm

Hi Stam,

Yep that link tries to open the Store App.

This should work...
https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9MXMG22FFMKJ

And my website has links to it (website is a work in progress).
www.edgenotes.molpin.uk
I've Created it with Live Code, I've published it - that's the easy bit done, but how the hell do I get people to download it :?

Emily-Elizabeth

Post by Emily-Elizabeth » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:48 am

Watched the video on your website, looks good. Need a Mac version now ;-)

MrAlobar

Post by MrAlobar » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:23 am

Hi Emily-Elizabeth,
Thank you, yes I'd love to make a Mac version - if the Windows version becomes successful I'll definitely do that :D
Jay

stam

Post by stam » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am

It does look very interesting... thanks for sharing and well done :)
Last edited by stam on Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrAlobar

Post by MrAlobar » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:23 am

stam wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am
It does look very interesting... thanks for sharing and well done :)
Thank you Stam.

stam

Post by stam » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:47 am

Looking at this it struck me that since this is for very quick text entry, a more seamless way to format text 'on the fly' would be to use markdown... but may not be easy to do in LiveCode...

Also having now seen the video on your site, is does look very functional indeed. I've not tested (obviously, as am on Mac ;) ) but the interface looks solid!

MrAlobar

Post by MrAlobar » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 pm

That's interesting Stam - I hadn't considered Markdown. I'm not going to switch from RTF now but I'm going to add Markdown to my toolkit.

On the subject of streamlining styling on the fly, for the next release, I have implemented more ctrl key functions, now most formatting can be achieved without the need for mouse action.

I've also added:
- support for multiple screens (user can choose which screen to dock EdgeNotes).
- hyperlink support
- cut button, previously had to copy and delete (I try to walk a fine line between a minimal interface and maximum convenience)
- select notes by number key
- some tightening up of UI and under the bonnet stuff

Loads of stuff planned for the future - if it takes off !

stam

Post by stam » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:16 pm

It's always the way... if you want to do it right it's a lot of work.
Don't forget the Mac version on your list of upcoming features ;)

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:21 pm

Markdown was created as a shorthand for providing text styling in non-GUI editors, and over time has emerged as the leading way to solve that problem.

Since this app has a GUI toolbar, is the subset of users who are both fluent in Markdown AND also prefer Markdown where a GUI is already available large enough to warrant the considerable effort to implement a Markdown parser?

In short, cast my vote for a Mac version first. Then a Linux version. Then add more output formats (does it output web-ready HTML?). Then down the list consider the subset of the subset of users who might make the work of adding Markdown worthwhile.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

MrAlobar

Post by MrAlobar » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:06 pm

Hi Richard, thanks for your feedback.
I can't imagine I'll implement Markdown in this particular app.

On the question of output, no, nothing explicit.
Each note is a separate RTF file and so is easily available to the user - Windows users have Wordpad available at the very least.

However, I do plan to add a print option.
Output to HTML - not sure. I suppose I could have a menu of output options. But the app is meant to be a kind of scratch pad - the text is best copied into another app for formatting, turning into documents, formatting for printing.

I also want to keep the GUI as clean and uncluttered as possible.

I have had a lot requests for a Mac version but you're the first request Linux. Next OS though is Android as I need that so I can have my notes on my phone. Maybe I'll eventually do the full LC5 !

Cheers.

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 pm

For the Android app, will you be syncing with the desktop app? That's a good bit of work but most of the text apps do that. Or if not synching, then save to a common cloud directory like Dropbox or Drive?

The user notes will be sandboxed in the app, but you could also just offer an export function. LC doesn't support access to the public folders like Downloads, so notes wouldn't be seen by other Android apps.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

stam

Post by stam » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:44 pm

jacque wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 pm
For the Android app, will you be syncing with the desktop app? That's a good bit of work but most of the text apps do that. Or if not synching, then save to a common cloud directory like Dropbox or Drive?
can you use FireBase for that?

MrAlobar

Post by MrAlobar » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:16 pm

Hi Jacque,

I'm not looking for the apps to be aware of each other.

I run EdgeNotes on Windows pointed at a local OneDrive folder that syncs to the cloud.

My expectation is that I can use a similar approach on android - this was going to be my start point anyway, but from what you say it sounds like that won't work :-(

Return to “Made With LiveCode”