Drop Zone Rename - Taking control of my digital images

A place for you to show off what you have made with LiveCode

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon Knight

Drop Zone Rename - Taking control of my digital images

Post by Simon Knight » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:38 pm

For several reasons I decided to use filenames as a way of managing my digital photographs. I became tired of database applications and decoded to enforce a naming and folder structure and use an Live code application to do the spade work. My images are stored in date named folders which are inside year folders:
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 20.02.38.png
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 20.02.38.png (20.45 KiB) Viewed 7926 times
The files names follow a strict format which is date based and includes the original file name that the camera assigned. Here is an example :

Code: Select all

2021-09-03-195050-1059176-Glencoe-Workshop-David-Newton-Scotland-.rw2
Each part of the file name is delimited by a dash character and takes the form of

Code: Select all

Year-Month-Day-HHMMSS-CameraFileName-Tag1-Tag2-TagN-.Ext
My Livecode application has two key modes : Initial Copy and Rename of files on an SD Card (or anywhere else) and the addition of what I decided to call Tags but are in effect keywords.
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 20.09.13.png
The source folder of images is dropped on the arrow icon, the destination folder is the photo library and again is set via drag and drop. Once set it is stored in the preference file. When button 3 is pressed the images in the source folder are copied and renamed to the correct folder inside the specified photo library folder. The date and time of capture are read from data stored inside the raw file.

Once the images have been copied across they may be viewed in the Finder or any other file viewer and then Tags/Keywords added to the file name. Tags are entered into fields and then selected image files are dragged and dropped onto the associated green plus sign and the text in the field is added to the image filename.
Screenshot 2021-09-24 at 20.21.00.png
If an error is made the keyword may be removed by dropping one or more files onto the red bin icon. One exception are the fields 1star to 5star: a chage of star rating replaces the previous star rating with the one selected.

At the moment the application has five pages of sixty tag controls and once populated the text is saved between runs to the preference file.
When doing a rename the application will check that the new name is not in use, if it is the rename of the one file will be stopped. The application also renames any associated Adobe .xmp, DxO PhotoLab 4 .dop and ExposureX6 sidecar files.

If any mac users are interested the application may be downloaded from The mac version may be downloaded on this link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iewx3ffqtqgk ... jgvaa?dl=0
best wishes
Skids

Return to “Made With LiveCode”