Need help with building an external// desktop externals tutorials are not helpful

Interested adding compiled externals from LiveCode and third parties to your LiveCode projects? This is the place to talk about them.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jpags.me

Need help with building an external// desktop externals tutorials are not helpful

Post by jpags.me » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:36 am

I am new to LiveCode and I am stuck with desktop externals. I have created the externals based on the tutorials but I am unable to get the results. Can you help me understand fully on how to build and external from your own procedure? Thank you in advance. God bless.

bogs

Re: Need help with building an external// desktop externals tutorials are not helpful

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 pm

Right now, I think this area of the Environment is still in a state of flux, or at least, the times this topic has come up haven't seemed to produce the results looked for :(

jpags.me

Re: Need help with building an external// desktop externals tutorials are not helpful

Post by jpags.me » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:40 pm

bogs wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:00 pm
Right now, I think this area of the Environment is still in a state of flux, or at least, the times this topic has come up haven't seemed to produce the results looked for :(

Oh, that is sad. I was hoping that someone can help with just on how to create an external since i am a little confuse on the tutorial with one of the step which the Revolution installation paths, you can see it on the link below. https://i.imgur. com/amXPL78.png

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:50 pm

Sure wish I could tell you.
BTW, you had a space in the URL you posted, and not everyone trusts urls anyway, so I'll put the picture in this post. Hopefully, it will generate some knowledge :wink:

jpags.me

Post by jpags.me » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:57 pm

I did that on purpose since I did not know how to post the picture here ..hehe..

Thanks for the help BTW. Hope that someone could teach me the ways on this.

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Oh, to post a picture, just click on the button that says "Insert image:...." when you hover over it. Looks like a picture :D

Then stick the link to the picture into it. Alternately, you can click on 'attachments' below, then 'add file", and if the picture is within certain size limits (fairly generous though), you can post it. Of course, you can also drag the picture to where you type in the post, and it will add it without clicking anything. Then choose the place inline next to the picture, and you'll see something like this -
Selection_002.png
What picture?~!
Sure hope Monte or one of the others that knows comes by. Good luck!

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi jpags.me,

welcome to the forum!

Due to high spamming here in the forum, you need to have at least 10 postings
before you can post images, links etc.

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:47 pm

You know, now I'm curious how he posted the partial link at all Image

jpags.me

Post by jpags.me » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:53 pm

Hehe. Thanks for the heads up. I was actually imitating other users posts on link by adding a space on it. hehe

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Sorry to say, the old Revolution externals are no longer supported and many do not work now. The new way is to use LiveCode Builder. There is a forum area here where you can ask about Builder.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:29 pm

External libraries are indeed still supported, and until LiveCode Builder comes of age are still the only way to access some (most?) system resources. Jpags.me- what "results" are you not getting from your external?

If you're using Mark Waddingham's external creator, the installation paths should point to the actual LiveCode engines in your LC installation. That will depend on your native OS and whether you have installed for all users or just for yourself. The way Mark coded the stack is that you'll need at least one path for your native OS and (if you're building for a different OS) a second one for the OS you're building for.

But if you're successfully building externals already then maybe you don't need the External Creator. It just creates a template for your code. Hope this helps a bit.

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mark. I have a couple of old externals that stopped working, so I assumed all of them did. The main one I will need eventually was written by Mark Waddingham many years ago, so I figured that was as good as it gets.

If you know how to update those I'd like to hear from you. I was going to ask the other Mark about it later but I know the team is swamped right now.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Hmmm... the externals interface is still alive and well in the engine, so nothing has changed there. It's possible that the old externals are accessing system resources that have changed over time...

Ping me offlist and we'll talk.

Return to “Using Externals”