Need help taking LC project to Web, Android, maybe Macs

This is the place to offer or seek development services - offer to build apps for others or find a developer to work for you

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jstewartathartford

Need help taking LC project to Web, Android, maybe Macs

Post by jstewartathartford » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:38 pm

I have a fairly simple LC project running in Windows, but need to get it on more platforms. A few months ago I used the community version of LC to get a web version running --- after a long download -- but cannot seem to repeat it. When I look into deploying to Android, I am quickly overwhelmed, but hoping all of that detail is old-hat to some programmers. I made even less effort on the Mac front, which is less important because users are likely to be in less developed countries and Macs are not very cheap.
I posted the livecode program to GitHub at JStewartAtHartfordEdu/HRMI_Calculator, but I am not sure that actually provides access, so would welcome suggestions for how to do this better.

This version will get some modest (I hope) revisions with some final testing. It may eventually be in several languages.

This is an effort by a non-profit -- Human Rights Measurement Initiative -- so there is not a lot of money available, but I will add to their resources if necessary. If possible, I would like a time and cost per hour estimates.
Thanks,
Jay Stewart

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Need help taking LC project to Web, Android, maybe Macs

Post by richmond62 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Well re Macintoshes, all I can say is that it is generally a good idea to build a Mac
on a Macintosh. Very little code is likely to need tweaking.

If you really want that: a simple MacOS build, I am perfectly prepared to do that
using either LC Community for Free, or LC Indy for $50.

jstewartathartford

Post by jstewartathartford » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and offer. Does that mean you were able to download the program from GitHub, so you would only need to make a standalone on your Mac? I may take up your offer when the final version is done. On a related question, how do you distribute the app? I cannot email an .exe attachment and people have trouble getting past Windows Defender and anti-virus programs when downloading from a shared DropBox folder.
Thanks,
jay

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:33 pm

I distribute my standalone programs as ZIP files downloadable from my DropBox account.
Does that mean you were able to download the program from GitHub
I wouldn't know how to do that.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:50 pm

Hey Richmond,

I know this is kindly meant, but actually you are not permitted by the EULA for Indy to set up a build service for someone else. You are absolutely welcome to build for others using Community. If you think about it for a moment, you'll see why this must be so. If it was permissible to use your Indy license to build apps for others, it could have a major impact on the vital revenue that keeps LiveCode Ltd working and building tech for all you LiveCoders out there.

Best Regards, and warm wishes for a Happy Christmas and a Vastly Better New Year!

Heather

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:01 pm

Thanks, Heather, for putting me right.

Hope this reaches you as it leaves me: 100% Covid-free. :)
Last edited by richmond62 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:07 pm

jstewartathartford wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:09 pm
Thanks for the quick reply and offer. Does that mean you were able to download the program from GitHub, so you would only need to make a standalone on your Mac? I may take up your offer when the final version is done. On a related question, how do you distribute the app? I cannot email an .exe attachment and people have trouble getting past Windows Defender and anti-virus programs when downloading from a shared DropBox folder.
Thanks,
jay
I can confirm that I was able to download your project from https://GitHub.com/JStewartAtHartfordEd ... Calculator and it open it up fine on macOS (10.14.6, LiveCode Indy 9.6.2rc1), all the tabs and such seem to work fine and look good. Interesting project, maybe it could be made to fetch the data for a country from somewhere on the internet, such as here: https://github.com/JStewartAtHartfordEd ... aster/data?

Also, you could use GitHub to distribute exe/app builds of your project. You would create a version "release" in your projects repo and upload your app/exe/zip to that release, then it shows in the release side-bar on the right side of your project's repo page.
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

jstewartathartford

Post by jstewartathartford » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:35 am

Thanks for the test of access to the project. I am such a novice at GitHub that it is taking me a while to figure out your instructions. It has helped to look at your account. I am slowly getting to the point of revising it then will try to make several versions for distribution. Then I may be back for some more help and not just free help.

Return to “Developer Services Marketplace”