Looking for Help with DataGrid or other possible solution

This is the place to offer or seek development services - offer to build apps for others or find a developer to work for you

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

booee

Looking for Help with DataGrid or other possible solution

Post by booee » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:17 pm

I'm looking to contract someone to help with a project of mine.
I'm not 100% sure if it's possible, and/or if it is... what the best approach would be.

I'm looking have a Grid that looks like the image attached into my project.
There will be multiple rows and columns, and so I need a speedy approach with it to populate the data from arrays.

As you see each cell with have 3 differently formatted fields, as well as a customized backcolor.
If you're interested in this project, please let me know each via PM or responding with a method of contact.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Looking for Help with DataGrid or other possible solution

Post by richmond62 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:03 am

Screenshot 2020-04-13 at 12.00.07.png
-
So: each 'cell' is a group consisting on 3 transparent fields and an opaque rounded rectangle,
these can then be grouped into a 'supergroup' to end up with the sort of grid you want.

Play with it, take it to bits, and learn. 8)

-
stripLynchets.jpg
stripLynchets.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
Attachments
strip lynchets.livecode.zip
Here's the stack.
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

booee

Post by booee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:23 pm

Hi richmond62,

Using Groups is actually how I quickly mocked up the example of what I'm trying to do.

The issue for me is in the details:
1. The number of rows and columns will vary by user.
2. Resizing: While the height will be fixed, the width of each cell will have to resize based on the stage size and number of columns the user is using. The resizing of the grid cells and all of its fields inside each cell (note: font sizes) becomes quite complicated because of this.
3. Vast number of data points: Each cell will have different values for all 3 fields, as well as every cell could/will have a different backcolor. That can make for a large number of unique data to populate all of the individual cells. This project requires the need to be able to put all of this data in and be processed in an expedited fashion.

I consider myself a novice Livecode programmer at best, and so these 3 points bring it to a level of sophistication above my abilities.
I thought this subforum was an area I could post jobs for developers looking for work.
If I was incorrect about this assumption, please let me know and I'll happily remove this post and seek elsewhere.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Hi booee,

this forum "Developer Services Marketplace" is the correct place for your query, Richmond is just rying to help.

#1 and #3 are doable, but the real problem will be your #2, resizing your cells (in real-time I guess)!
The datagrid works with "templates" that are copied from a substack to the datagrid on the cards,
so real-time resizing is a highly complex thing, I don't have the slightest idea how to do that!? :(

Maybe someone will chime in here...

Best

Klaus

bwmilby

Post by bwmilby » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Will your project contain more rows/columns than can be displayed on a single card? If not, then a DG is probably more than what you need.

Positioning elements inside each cell should be very easy with a behavior script that reacts to the group size change.
Brian Milby

Script Tracker https://github.com/bwmilby/scriptTracker

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:40 am

I would not use a DG, rather building the field "array" from whole cloth.

As Klaus mentioned, sometimes what we want from our app becomes more, not less difficult if forced into a DG structure.

All that said, there are many here who could build this; it is not particularly difficult. Whether or not you prefer to learn to do it yourself, and we are here to help all along the way, may depend on a matter of time or of your own inclination. I urge you to take the time to build this. And again, this may make no sense given your own outlook, time and energy.

But you would get enormous, continuous help from this forum from start to finish if you do/

Craig

booee

Post by booee » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks for all of your insights and recommendations everyone!

I decided to just push forward with your recommendations to not use DG, and utilizing positioning elements inside each cell with a behavior script that reacts to the group size change. It seems to be the right path to go with so far!

Thanks again so much!

Return to “Developer Services Marketplace”