Simple DB app

This is the place to offer or seek development services - offer to build apps for others or find a developer to work for you

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

kbts

Simple DB app

Post by kbts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:46 am

Hello all,

I'm looking to hire an experienced developer to develop a simple livecode app with sourcecode that connects to a sqlite database
and displays records one at a time with previous and next buttons. I've programmed with VBA and access but at the moment don't have time to learn the specifics of Livecode.

Schema:

filename: db1.sql

Table name: table1

Fields and data:
Id,Name,picture
1,Tom,tom1.jpg
2,Karen,karen.jpg
3, Carl, Carl.jpg

App opens showing a picture of tom1.jpg with the name Tom displayed. It has two navigation buttons, prev and next. at first record, the prev button is hidden and at last record next button is hidden.

I may want to add more depending on how it works out. PM me and let me know how much this simple app and source would be to develop.

Thanks,

Tom

bogs

Re: Simple DB app

Post by bogs » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello Tom :)

I know your not looking to program it yourself, but I believe I came across such a simple program already done, if I come across it again, I'll post the location to it and you can see if it fits your needs.

The main problem I was chiming in about here though is that you are new to this forum, and while you would be able to receive pm contact, until you hit 10 posts you will not be able to reply to them ( I think I have that right ).

Although it is tempting, I wouldn't put your email blatantly in any forum either, although the usual tricks such as "my_email at this dot com" seems to work out ok for form.

There is also a Lc developer market place that you might try from the Lc web site in the directory, and Richard mentioned (elsewhere) the LiveCode group on LinkedIn if you haven't already caught it.

Good luck with your project!

AndyP

Post by AndyP » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:54 am

Hi Tom,

If you want to do this yourself which is relatively easy with LiveCode, the this example has all the code you will need.

http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/6 ... te-Sampler

Good luck!
Andy Piddock
https://livecode1001.blogspot.com Built with LiveCode
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/TinyIDE Mini IDE alternative
https://github.com/AndyPiddock/Seth Editor color theming
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/897/ LiveCode-Multi-Search

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:57 pm

I thought of mentioning the sampler stack (Resources Icon on the toolbar -> Databases -> SQLite), but that doesn't include handling inserting pictures unless you go the binary route.

There is also the SQLite CRUD demo (in this "CRUD SQLite example" thread in the forums posted by townsend) which demonstrates it all in a lot more depth.

But the version I had come across mentioned above (which I haven't remembered where yet) was literally what he was looking to do, i.e.
kbts wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:46 am
Fields and data:
Id,Name,picture
1,Tom,tom1.jpg
2,Karen,karen.jpg
3, Carl, Carl.jpg
I keep thinking it was done by MaxV, but I could be wrong on that score.

Andy is right though Tom, this is a relatively easy project, probably less than a full days research and code, and of course if you write it yourself modification of it later will be easier for you to accomplish.

Mikey
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mikey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm

I was thinking about making this month's LCG session on building a simple DB app in LC anyway, so keep the thoughts going...

fritzdekatt

Post by fritzdekatt » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Mikey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:57 pm
I was thinking about making this month's LCG session on building a simple DB app in LC anyway, so keep the thoughts going...
Mikey

I just saw this and wondered what it was about. I never heard of an "LCG session". I'm guessing this stands for "Live Code Group". If this is so, is this an interactive web thing? What are the criteria for hooking up?

Thank you
fritz

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:21 pm

LiveCode Global.
In 2017 and 2018, instead of having an annual user conference in some city, LiveCode did bi-monthly all-day online meetups. Someone complained that there was not enough content for n00bs, so I decided to teach a n00b session every time. Using DB's with LC was one of them.
Check with LC to see if you can get access to all the sessions. Email support@livecode.com. Heather runs the support for LC and was the person organizing and running LCG. There were videos and slide decks and sample projects from many of the presenters.

Return to “Developer Services Marketplace”