Offering Development from Ukraine

This is the place to offer or seek development services - offer to build apps for others or find a developer to work for you

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

golife

Offering Development from Ukraine

Post by golife » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:28 pm

Today, @Hutchboy wrote in "Re: LiveCode and HyperStudio" regarding the website of HyperStudio which states: "Our hearts are with the people of Ukraine as they defend themselves from the Russian army. Many of our talented staff live and work there, where we've had offices in Kyiv for more than a quarter century."

This reminds me that for 20 years I had a company in Ukraine, and we had over 100 hard core software developers working on large industrial projects, mostly using C/C++, driver development, etc. Some even used LiveCode that I had taught them. They picked it up immediately.

Regarding the current situation, here in Switzerland several of my friends of Ukraine have come with families and I could accommodate and help them, some are from Mariupol, others from Crimea and other occupied regions.

Many of my staff are spread all over the globe sitting in companies such as Microsoft, Apple, Oracle, etc.

I am not sure it is appropriate to mention this here, but I can offer developer services from Ukrainian developers with top level experience for very decent and negotiable rates or fixed prices. I often thought that even LiveCode itself could profit from a much larger group of developers with such experience, and it would not cost all the world. It would boost the product. But -- well -- I am not sure if there is any business case at all.

I also like to mention that the database "Valentina" https://www.valentina-db.com/en/ offering services for LiveCode was developed by a developer of Ukraine in Kherson (a city now almost destroyed) who I personally know. We cooperated locally as I had a team of developers also in Kherson as well.

I have grown to be grey-haired, and I am already a pensioner with reduced activities, but still the contacts to developers are active, and currently around me are lots of Ukrainians eager and competent to work in this sphere. So, let me know through a private message if there is any interest to employ these people or giving them some tasks.

For LiveCode, expect a learning and training time of about a month. We learned other languages in about that time -- of course based on very sold programming knowledge with C/C++ and even low-level tasks. Also, I have some mathematicians and top engineers from Ukraine interested to offer their services.

Thanks, and regards, Golife (Roland)

stam

Re: Offering Development from Ukraine

Post by stam » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:49 pm

That's very cool.
I use Valentina as well as other Ukrainian-developed apps such as CleanMyMac X, Setapp and more.
No question, Ukranian software companies seem almost disproportionally adept at coding.

golife

Post by golife » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:09 pm

Stamp. thank you... Yes, you are right.

There is a wealth of educated people based on top level education. I got most of the developers from the universities. It was a wonderful experience working with such groups of developers, and we really had fun. I think it would be great if it is possible to find a way again utilizing such knowledge and experience -- for LiveCode, or for other projects. The interest is to support Ukraine and hopefully also LiveCode.

With such people development of LiveCode would be far ahead of time. It is not only, but also a question of shear manpower.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:04 pm

A fair few of the Ukrainian children who now attend my language school have parents who are programmers (now working here in Plovdiv). The other children from Ukraine are the kids of unskilled workers who live in a refugee centre, and they come for free. Nice children who shouldn't have had this happen to them.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:35 pm

This is a great idea. May I suggest creating a thread with such offerings in the Developer Marketplace forum? We don't get much traffic here, but those coming in may look there first for developer assistance.

https://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=134
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:35 pm
This is a great idea. May I suggest creating a thread with such offerings in the Developer Marketplace forum? We don't get much traffic here, but those coming in may look there first for developer assistance.

https://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=134
Hi Richard, great suggestion but is it not possible to move this (existing) thread to Developer Marketplace?

Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:41 pm

Done.

(Why are posts here required to have at least 10 characters? Seems like a remedy to a problem from another time.)
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jiml

Post by jiml » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:05 pm

I can heartily recommend the quality of Ukrainian coders. In the late nineties and early 2000s I used a team of programmers in the Ukraine. Also brought over two Ukrainians to California to manage their remote team. They all did excellent work. I've lost touch with these folks and hope that they are surviving. In the 2010s I worked closely with Russian programmers in Los Angeles and their St. Petersburg team. So bizarre and wasteful that these talented people may now be trying to slaughter each other.

Return to “Developer Services Marketplace”