altBrowser stability

Interested in using the many environmental add-ons and extensions from LiveCode and third parties to the flexible LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

altBrowser stability

Post by Simon » Tue May 15, 2007 8:20 pm

Hello,
I've just been told that we made a sale of 20K units.
I should be happy right?
Nope, I'm terrified!

As the product uses the altBrowser plugin can anybody tell me about any pitfalls I might wish to avoid? How stable is altBrowser? Is it bullet proof? If not, what is the siver bullet I should know about?

And in general with RunRev, is there a list of functions which are not recommended to use? (e.g. revCopyFile should be an easy cross platform function.... it isn't).

Thank for any feedback,
Simon

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Mark » Tue May 15, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi Simon,

RevBrowser as it is called in Rev 2.8.1. should be pretty stable now, but I can't call it bullet proof yet, partly because I haven't fully tested it yet. I have heard that RevBrowser doesn't work with Mac OS X 10.3 and I tend to believe that it works with Mac OS X 10.4 only. I assume it is compatible with Win XP and Vista, but I doubt it is compatible with any other OS. You really need to try before you distribute your software.

Indeed, revCopyFile is a monster. I created my own set of functions to replace it, which is pretty easy, using read/write in a repeat loop with messages and wait for messages.

If you are using transition effects, you really need to test those with different configurations. Even if all your PC's use Win XP and QuickTime is installed, visual effects might work on one while not on another PC.

Also, the beep command may be compatible with some sound cards but not with other sound cards. In very rare occasions, a beep command followed by an answer command may stall your system.

I am sure there are more pitfalls. Visual effects and the beep proiblem are just two I encountered lately. All I can do is recommend that you to a lot of betatesting before you sell anything.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed May 16, 2007 3:09 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the tips.
How come I didn't know 2.8.1 was released? I own Studio, am I not in the club? I sure haven't been shown any secret handshakes.

Anybody know of a good testing house? At 20K units I think it justifies the costs.

Thanks,
Simon

Return to “Using Plugins for Customizing the LiveCode IDE”