Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is available

Interested in using the many environmental add-ons and extensions from LiveCode and third parties to the flexible LiveCode environment? This is the place to talk about it.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

geoffcanyon

Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is available

Post by geoffcanyon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:38 am

As usual, you can get Navigator here. Or grab Navigator on GitHub.

The complete update list is below, but the four big things are:
  1. Preferences are stored as an external text file, so updating Navigator won't delete your color sets or anything else.
  2. The Properties menu now includes access to a Size/Location editor, so you can easily change the rect of any set of controls you like. It's easy to align or center controls, and everything you do in the dialog can be reverted if something goes wrong.
  3. The Properties menu now includes access to a Colors editor, so you can easily change any set of color properties for any set of controls. This also has a revert function.
  4. The filter function now has a toggle switch so you can filter by test as well as just by matching text. The string "tID" gets replaced with the long ID of the control being displayed. So if you want to see just invisible controls: "the vis of tID is false" or controls that are square: "the height of tID is the width of tID" or controls without a tooltip: "the tooltip of tID is empty." etc., etc.
I should add that the revert function in the editors is not dependent on the editors themselves -- you can open the Size/Location editor and then resize or move the selected controls any way you want, and then hit the revert button and everything will go back to where it was when you opened the editor (for the controls you selected when you opened the editor).

Let me know if you find any issues.

Detailed change list:

Improved and simplified Navigator window-dragging code.
Fixed an error with layering in drag and drop between Navigators.
Fixed an error with editing colors.
Added a toggle to the filter box to allow filter by test as well as text match.
Simplified the code to display the stack list.
Fixed an issue where mainstacks with templates for conversion to behaviors would show up twice in the option menu in the conversion dialog.
Fixed an issue where Navigator sometimes opened in a collapsed state.
Added an option to the properties menu to open Size/Location Editor.

Updated the Size/Location Editor:
  1. The previous way of resizing (which involved following the sizing of a target object in real time) has been removed.
  2. Added a control to allow resizing/moving any control or set of controls: adjust the sides/corners, or move the objects
  3. Added a reset button to undo all changes made.
Added an option to the properties menu to open the colors editor.

Updated the Colors editor:
  1. Added backgrounds to the color sliders to make it clearer what edits what.
  2. Added a Choose button that opens the system color selector to put the value into the sliders.
  3. Reorganized the layout to make it clearer.
  4. Added tooltips to explain how color selection works.
  5. Added a color swatch to show what color is set on the sliders.
  6. Added a reset button to undo all changes made.
Changed preferences to save and restore them in an external text file. The format is fairly simple:
  1. All preferences are stored as a single line each.
  2. Each line is delimited into three items by numtochar(255).
  3. The first item is the property to be set.
  4. The second item is the name of the control that has the property -- this is a full name reference to the control, but not the long name. It uses the name of the mainstack instead of the filename. Thus the value can be used to set properties, but is portable from one installation to another.
  5. Values are urlencoded.
  6. In the one instance of a custompropertyset, the individual array values for the custompropertyset are urlencoded to be a single line, then the whole array is urlencoded to fit in the larger scheme.

geoffcanyon

Re: Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 is available

Post by geoffcanyon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am

​...and updated to alpha 2. Found and fixed a bug with proportional resizing, and removed an unnecessary visual element from the resizing dialog.​

capellan

Post by capellan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 am

Really nice! Thanks a lot for updating RevNavigator.

Just for curiosity, I clicked the fillGradient property
and found an empty field, but the graphic already
had a fillGradient.

Could RevNavigator edit a fillGradient?

Al

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

I agree, very nice update Geoff!

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:35 am

Updated to alpha 4. Updated the prefs format. Prefs now use a custom encode/decode routine so only cr and tab are encoded. The result is simpler to modify as a text file. This version of Nav will still correctly read the old format.

Had already updated in alpha 3 to fix an issue with custom values in the prefs palette. e.g. custom font sizes for the Navigator list should work now.

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:41 am

capellan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 am
I came across this while I was coding this update, actually, since I use fill gradients in the colors editor. The fillGradient is a pain in the neck, since it is (as far as I know) the only property that's actually an array.

I could custom-code a way of dealing with it, but there are so many fiddly little bits to set, I doubt anyone would be able to update the values without breaking it, or at the least ending up with a result that wasn't what they intended. The color bars in the colors editor are pretty simple, just a straight ramp from one end to the other, and even using the custom tools in the standard property palette I managed to break it or otherwise screw it up several times before I figured out what I was doing (mostly).

All of which is to say, sure, I can make the values editable, but doing so in a useful way seems unlikely.

Any suggestions?

capellan

Post by capellan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:23 am

Maybe this could help:

viewtopic.php?t=3621
http://www.tactilemedia.com/site_files/ ... er.rev.zip

but today, I was importing some Adobe Ilustrator files (using Eps Import v05C)
and all imported graphics had a green color overlay. All of them...

I had to select all graphics, open the Object Inspector and
disable the color overlay property for all selected graphics.

This bug means that something changed places inside the graphics
property array. Maybe, that is the reason why you are finding
those errors while setting gradient properties.

Please, check yourself with Eps Import v05C and tell me if all sample
Adobe Illustrator included with the stack, imports with
a green color overlay. (using LC 9.0.1 rc3)

http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/alejandro ... t_V05C.zip

Al
Last edited by capellan on Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:46 am

I think things are working properly in 9.0.0 dp11 -- the .ai files seemed to import correctly, with gradients intact?

capellan

Post by capellan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:38 pm

This is good news, but I was using LiveCode 9.0.1 rc3.
Later today, I will try to reproduce this bug in other
computers and post a report.

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:43 pm

With 9.0.1.15103 (I think the most recent version) on a Mac, I'm seeing this. Is this what I should be seeing, or a demonstration of the error you're talking about?

From Gradients01.ai

From Gradients02.ai:

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 pm

capellan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:19 am
This turned out to be easier than expected, in that the fillGradient can be treated as oddly-named properties. So all I had to do was modify the routine that generates the list of properties-in-common for a set of controls, and if "fillGradient" is there, replace that line with fillGradient["repeat"] and fillGradient["mirror"] etc.

Having done that, everything (mostly) works. I need to update the "is this a boolean property?" code, and add default lists for fillGradient["type"], but all values are currently editable.

I updated the download and GitHub. to 6.2.1 alpha 1

capellan

Post by capellan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 am

Gradients are imported correctly in your setup. :D
I will keep trying to duplicate the bug that I found with
that unexpected green color overlay...

Later, today, I will install and test your latest version
of RevNavigator. Many Thanks again for keeping it
updated for latest LC releases!

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:21 am

I made a mistake setting Navigator up to edit fillGradients. It will work for any control that already has a fillGradient, but cannot add a fillGradient to a control that doesn't already have one.

I've corrected that in my working copy. I'm updating the color editor and the whole thing should be ready later tonight or tomorrow morning.

geoffcanyon

Post by geoffcanyon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:13 am

Removed the need for the option key in both the stack menu and the card menu. Menu selections now allow for the functionality previously managed by the option key. Option key is still an option (heh) for the stack menu.

In the stack menu, there is now an option for showing IDE stacks, and a separate option for showing script-only stacks.

In the card (background) menu, there are now always options to display the card list or background list. They also control the menu, so when you select Background List, the list will be displayed in Navigator, and (until you change the setting) the menu will display the backgrounds as well. This will be true even if you select "This Card" from the menu. To change back to listing cards, select Card List on the menu.

capellan

Post by capellan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 pm

Hi Geoff,

Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 works great for editing gradients! :D
Tonight, I will make more tests but as far as I tested,
Navigator 6.2 alpha 1 reads and write gradients
without producing errors.

Check the Gradient Property Palette bug description:
viewtopic.php?f=104&p=171419#p171419

Al

Return to “Using Plugins for Customizing the LiveCode IDE”