Doable?

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

dalkin

Doable?

Post by dalkin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am

I have now completed my 2nd cross-platform app in LC but I have a niggling doubt that I might be better off eventually deploying it to the web in the long run (I have Indy and Server) but before I shell out the hard-earned on a HTML5 licence, I would like to know:

1. Is it doable to create an environment to allow users to create an online account that allocates server space and subsequently lets users with that login collaborate on text and audio (maybe video) projects in real time? The projects would need to remain in the cloud but have an option to download as well.

2. Within that framework I would need the capacity for many 'accounts' through a paywall .. link to PayPal?

3. The desktop music app I have created allows for lyrics and sound recordings on-the-fly thru mergMicrophone (Mac) and CameraControl (Windows) but I have a feeling I will have to wait for LC10 with their new architecture. Does anybody know? I notice that sound recording can be done (https://h5p.org/audio-recorder) but will an equivalent exist in LC10?

4. Can I use Adobe Dreamweaver to create the interface and plonk the LC functionality in the middle of it? I have no HTML.
If we're treading on thin ice, well you might as well dance.

Bernard

Re: Doable?

Post by Bernard » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:59 pm

dalkin wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:15 am
1. Is it doable to create an environment to allow users to create an online account that allocates server space and subsequently lets users with that login collaborate on text and audio (maybe video) projects in real time? The projects would need to remain in the cloud but have an option to download as well.
There's a lot of implications in that - user management, space management, access control of storage areas to particular individuals (and who manages that storage e.g. grants access to some team area). For example, have you ever managed user account storage, file storage, folder access/exclusion in any environment? Consider what would be required if you were to allow people on your home/office network to have accounts on your machine and some of them should have access to the folders of some others (do they have only read access or also editing access, how do you deny access to others).
dalkin wrote:
2. Within that framework I would need the capacity for many 'accounts' through a paywall .. link to PayPal?
Setting up payments in Paypal connected to a particular email address is not difficult. Making the connection between someone's payment/default in Paypal automatically granting/denying them access to a storage location is considerably more complex.
dalkin wrote:
3. The desktop music app I have created allows for lyrics and sound recordings on-the-fly thru mergMicrophone (Mac) and CameraControl (Windows) but I have a feeling I will have to wait for LC10 with their new architecture. Does anybody know? I notice that sound recording can be done (https://h5p.org/audio-recorder) but will an equivalent exist in LC10?
I know nothing more than the recent blog post about what's coming up with LC10. But I think it unlikely HTML5 apps would have access to recording sound via a browser (last time I looked at LC deployed to HTML5 there were far more basic things than that which did not work). At the moment the only things being promised in this regard are faster loading speeds and the use of "wait" command.
dalkin wrote:
4. Can I use Adobe Dreamweaver to create the interface and plonk the LC functionality in the middle of it? I have no HTML.
Yes. But in principle no significant knowledge of HTML is required to deploy a HTML5 LC app within a browser. If you want your HTML5 app to interact with other things that Dreamweaver places on the page, that might require quite some work.

stam

Re: Doable?

Post by stam » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:44 pm

That does sound rather complex and not necessarily feasible, at least not easily.
I wonder if Richard's previous suggestions of 'streaming apps' (for example viewtopic.php?f=120&t=28406&p=207876&hi ... ng#p207849) might be a better fit?

Return to “HTML5”