Silly Header

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Silly Header

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:29 pm

IDC suggests that the future isn't desktops, or mobile, or wearables, or any single form factor, but the variety of all of them, each serving their own unique role, tied together with the cloud:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_platform
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:21 pm

@bogs Your points are well taken and it's true I've been targeting a specific market. In that market there are some students who won't use software if they can't carry it around with them.

I do disagree with your comments about hacking though. A desktop computer is as vulnerable to hacking as any other device. Even if you never purchase anything online or visit sketchy web sites, there are router attacks and IoT vulnerabilities that can do plenty of damage. Hacking isn't dependent on the device you use.

But in the long run I think Richard nailed it. The right tool for the right job. I'm keeping this short because I'm typing on my tablet. :)
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:52 pm

jacque wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:21 pm
I do disagree with your comments about hacking though. A desktop computer is as vulnerable to hacking as any other device. Even if you never purchase anything online or visit sketchy web sites, there are router attacks and IoT vulnerabilities that can do plenty of damage. Hacking isn't dependent on the device you use.
No, but I think maybe the point I was trying to make was unclear. The 'hacking' I referred too didn't occur until large companies started putting their information 'off site' on the 'cloud'. Prior to that, large companies stored their data 'on site' on their own internal servers.

What can be gained by hacking very much *is* a result of the target. Prior the the cloud I used as an example, as I'm sure your aware, most companies had servers on site and used an intranet to access data. It was far more problematical to breach a server onsite that had no connection off site (it could be done, of course, but you had to be there to do it, you couldn't do it from Rowanda, for instance).

Certain forms of data, such as medical records, credit company information about you, etc. aren't usually lifted from a personal computer or phone or tablet, simply because most people did not store that kind of information on their computers or phones or tablets, although they do access it from those devices NOW, because companies put it where it can be reached from the outside.

Just for a second, though, let us assume you and I kept all that kind of data on our own personal computers, AND we got hacked, AND the bad actors here actually managed to steal all that data from you and I. Looks bad for you and me, Jacque, but not nearly as bad as what happened with Equifax, Home Depot, Walmart, or any other number of very large companies that put all our information off site, and got hacked, causing MILLIONS of people harm.

Sure if you personally get your banking information hacked off your personal computer, that is pretty bad too for you personally. If your banking institution is hacked, though, the bad actors make out much better. If you think I am just worrying about things that can't happen, let me know, I'll start putting actual stories behind these examples of events that have already happened.

If someone breaks my router security, they sure can't bring down the national power grid, or mess with a nuclear facility, OR get the records the NSA is holding on ... well, everyone. Can anyone be hacked? Sure, but it is the scale (and the relative amount of damage that can be done based on that) that makes my view of 'the cloud' so peevish.

Too many people thought there would be no problem using a cloud approach, or thought they could counter any problem that might arise from the same, but as far as I can tell, they were all wrong. What amazes me most is they keep trying, which to me amounts to a description of insanity.
But in the long run I think Richard nailed it. The right tool for the right job. I'm keeping this short because I'm typing on my tablet. :)
Heh, or as Red Green says, " any tool can be the right tool!" just before he drives a screw into wood with a mallet. My personal favorite is "Any tool can do a job on you, I've met a lot of tools in my life." :D :P :D

@ Richmond -
You'll have to upgrade to "Unrollable metal measuring tape 2.0" to get it to auto-fill fields :P

Further, if you can "fill in the fields" with a spade, you are:
a. working way too hard...
b. working way too long...
c. a far harder worker than I am.
d. able to do the impossible.

I've never seen anyone able to fill in a field, never mind more than one. How would you know when your done?

Now I've seen people who might use a spade to put a furrow in a field, might that be what you were shooting for? :P :P :P

@Richard -
I am positive the article you linked to is exactly how it is going to go, since that is already pretty much the way it already went, however, I think the cloud is what "Al Sleet, the Hippy Dippy Weatherman" was talking about when he said "Behind every silver lining, THERE is a dark CLOUD!".

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:44 am

Jacque- I'm not sure "typing" is the right word for "punching a tablet with my thumbs and fixing the damn autocorrect changes" :roll:

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:50 am

autocorrect-im-getting-a-bit-tired-of-your-shirt.jpg
Try SwiftKey, you'll never look back. Available for Android and iOS. I'm sorry Microsoft acquired them but so far they haven't ruined it.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:21 pm

Roadmap updated.

https://livecode.com/resources/roadmap/

Thank you. 8)

Return to “HTML5”