deploy to web

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

foosmaster

deploy to web

Post by foosmaster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:58 am

Ok, so I am getting ready to deploy, I am using "Save as standalone application .."
I create a super simple app that has a button, which has answer "hello world" in its mouseUp event
simple, right?
I have a few question:

1. the size is HUGE, I got a 40Mb installation which takes 5 seconds to download on local host (!!!)
2. I am getting even for this no brainer web app errors in my console (see image below)
3. actually loading a more complex app doesn't work at all.

am I going the wrong way ?
is deploying to web really an idea that's not useful ?
has anyone deployed a real world app in web ?
I'd love to hear tips and tricks ...

Klaus

Re: deploy to web

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 am

Hi foosmaster,

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p190379
please only one thread per topic!
So I'm going delete one of them, which one shall I delete?

Best

Klaus

bogs

Post by bogs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:16 am

I'm going to preface my abysmal lack of knowledge in this arena by flat out stating I have an abysmal lack of knowledge with this part of the Lc feature set, aside from (as you did) some very simple testing run locally.

Code: Select all

1. the size is HUGE, I got a 40Mb installation which takes 5 seconds to download on local host (!!!)
The size is huge, but then, I think that about most parts of the engine / standalone sizes. As I understand it, the bulk of the size in this case comes from including not only Lc's engine, but also emsripten's bits and pieces. I'm not in full understanding of how all *that* was put together.

2. I am getting even for this no brainer web app errors in my console (see image below)
No clue there, I received no such error warnings the last time I played with it, however, that was at least a couple of years ago.

3. actually loading a more complex app doesn't work at all.
Then I would have to guess that something is going wrong, the question is where.

am I going the wrong way ? 
is deploying to web really an idea that's not useful ?
has anyone deployed a real world app in web ?
I grouped the above 3 because the real answer is "It depends".
Deploying to the web could have a LOT of different ways to be accomplished, outside of the HTML feature in Lc. Richard had a fascinating take on it that actually works out shockingly well, you create a basic standalone, the guts are stored online. There is also Lc server.

Whether or not someone has deployed a real world app in web would depend on your take on a real world app.

-hh has probably pushed the HTML thing about as far as it could possibly go. He has made (among other things) an IDE based on it. That would be (to me) probably about the most complicated idea I'd ever think about putting on the web. Is it the fastest web based IDE I've ever seen? No, but I find it an amazing feat none the less. IMHO, it certainly would qualify as a "Real world app", and far exceeds the simple "Hello world" status.

I'd look through the thread I linked too, some of the stuff he has in there is jaw dropping.

foosmaster

Post by foosmaster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Klaus wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:08 am
Hi foosmaster,

https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.p ... 79#p190379
please only one thread per topic!
So I'm going delete one of them, which one shall I delete?

Best

Klaus
sorry - should have deleted the one on the other thread since there's no real HTML 5 support there - trying to get answers here
I'll see if I can delete that one - feel free to delete the other thread - thanks and sorry again

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:31 pm

OK, it's gone! :-)

foosmaster

Post by foosmaster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:00 pm

the question I have here is why even the simplest example

on mouseUp pMouseButton
    answer "hello world"
end mouseUp
generates error on save to web - I've went through the tutorial herer http://lessons.livecode.com/m/4071/l/80 ... on-the-web but got the same errors - tried in ubuntu, windows, both generate console errors shown in the first image, so I am thinking ... I must be doing something wrong if this is useable.

I can start adding components and see when things start to break, but I feel very discouraged considering even my hello world example seems broken.
I guess something very simple in my settings is not right.

even downloading the Zip from the lesson of livecode and saving it as HTML generates the same console errors:

this doesn't encourage me to dig further - unless I get the basics right
maybe because I am working on a different livecode version ? (9.5.1)
I am seeing setting that aren't there in the lesson ... so - how can I find out which version were they using in the lesson ?

thanks a lot

Return to “HTML5”