DataGrid2 forms still slow … ?

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

seaniepie

DataGrid2 forms still slow … ?

Post by seaniepie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi All
Faster DataGrid Performance
The number one feature we get asked for is to improve performance of complex DataGrids on mobile. We will improve performance in two ways. First, we will rework the DataGrid code to be more efficient in the way that it creates, removes and caches objects.

Faster Graphics on All Platforms
We will add new features to the engine to support accelerated rendering within groups. This will benefit LiveCode’s graphic performance in a variety of real-world situations, on all platforms including mobile, desktop and web.
That's a quote from the old 2017 backers campaign for DG2 just to put things into perspective of my expectations. I hope this doesn't come over as over-demanding.

I have acceleratedRendering set to true for the IDE, desktop and HTML5. But a DG2 Form with only 3 short fields, a rounded-rect grc and the background rect and only 233 records still struggle to scroll anywhere near smoothly. Even with the bkgnd and grc removed leaving only 3 simple text fields it still struggled just as much.

Is there something I am missing that can speed/smooth this up. Using a table view DG worked moderately better but doesn't have the required features the form view has for customising.

Many thanks
Sean

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: DataGrid2 forms still slow … ?

Post by [-hh] » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:49 am

... on all platforms including mobile, desktop and web.
As always,"web" means HTML5 standalones on desktop, not HTML5 standalones on mobile.

HTLM5 standalones were never made to run on mobile.
The simplest one work on very modern mobile but most probably not such ones that use widgets.

And HTML5 standalones on desktop run x times slower than in the IDE, where (currently)
x=5-10 on Safari, x=10-15 on Chrome, x=15-20 on Firefox...
For HTML5 standalones containing widgets this is (currently)
x=10-15 on Safari, x=15-25 on Chrome and Firefox...
shiftLock happens

seaniepie

Post by seaniepie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don’t recall saying that I was running on mobile. In fact, this is not at all for mobile. It is only to be run in Chrome on desktop windows pc’s.

However, I do recall that I said that I was seeing the slow response in both the IDE and a desktop standalone (for both pc and Mac) as well as in a HTML5 standalone (emscripten) running in Chrome on both Mac and pc. Sorry if this was not clear enough.

My main question was in my final paragraph.

I would like to add that, in fact, I am actually not noticing any perceivable slow down between running in the ide and in Chrome except when processing huge amounts of data (like the 23MB of MySQL table data of 153000 records) I need to eventually work with. But the slowdown I see (in BOTH the IDE AND emscripten standalone in Chrome (or HTML5 for short - please assume this is what I mean by HTML5 from here on in)) is evident with only three columns of <6 digits, <64 chars, 10 digits over 232 records with no graphics or clever layout. I table view is faster but form view is stuttering. But I will eventually be needing to add graphic features that table view cannot.

trevix

Post by trevix » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:36 pm

I would also like to remark that even table datagrid scrolling is slow, barely useful.

Unless i am missing something, see my attached stack, where there are 2 cards: one with a table DG and one with a mobile scroller of a field.
Load it to an hardware device and you will see that the mobile scroller is acceptable, even if not at the iOS standards.
The DataGrid scroller is lousy.

OSX 10.14.6 LC 9.5.1Rc1 iOs 9.3 on iPad3
Attachments
TestDG.livecode.zip
(23.16 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Trevix
OSX 14.3.1 xCode 15 LC 10 DP7 iOS 15> Android 7>

Return to “HTML5”