Is there anyway to determine the OS of the device running a web deployment ?

Bringing your stacks to the web

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

djkesler
Livecode Opensource Backer

Is there anyway to determine the OS of the device running a web deployment ?

Post by djkesler » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:03 am

I have converted a desktop app to a web app. I'm ecstatic about the results. It runs very well on Win, MacOS, iPhone, iPad, Linux and with all the browsers that I could find. But it doesn't run on Android's browsers. I say it doesn't run, that is not accurate. I have a login stack that accepts user id and password. The password field is hidden and "*"s are displayed as keydown events are used to build the actual password field. It may not be the best way to do this but it works on every other device/os/browser I have tried.

On Android the vertical "cursor" never moves, even though characters are added to the field. The "dummy" field with the "*"s is not visible, but the key strokes are. The keyboard starts acting strangely. Even if I manage to get the correct info into the userid and password fields, for some reason I can get the right information out of the fields to verify the user.

I am using LC fields. If there was a way to determine that the app is on an Android device, I am sure I can solve the problem. But, I don't see a way to get the OS name of the device the browser is running on. Have I missed some function that will return the OS name when deployed to "Web"?

Oh, I have never tried to use the "Android native field". What happens if you're not on an Android device if you use the Android Native Field?

You might have guessed that I'm not an Android guy.

Thanks for any help,

David Kesler

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is there anyway to determine the OS of the device running a web deployment ?

Post by jacque » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:01 pm

Oh, I have never tried to use the "Android native field". What happens if you're not on an Android device if you use the Android Native Field?
Nothing, it doesn't work. But in this case I don't think it's needed anyway since you're building for a browser and those don't use native OS fields. It's all HTML. The default browser on Android is Chrome so I'd think it should work as it does on Chrome for desktop. Firefox is available on Android, you could try installing it from the Play Store and see if it behaves differently.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

djkesler

Re: Is there anyway to determine the OS of the device running a web deployment ?

Post by djkesler » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:16 pm

It works on Chrome on Win10 and macOS. But not on any Android device that it has been tested on(3 Samsung phones, 2 Samsung tables, and a Pixel phone.)

I’ll try Firefox.

After I posted the question on the Android Native Field, I realized that it really was not a possibility that that would work.

Once I isolate the exact cause of the failure, at least at the LC level, I’ll post my findings and report a bug if one is loose.

Thanks,
David Kesler

bobcole

Post by bobcole » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:26 am

I have been playing with a stack to answer the question of determining the OS of the device that requests a web app.
My stack may be a solution to the question. It asks the server to return the Browser's User Agent (a string sent by the device to the server).
The default User Agent string provided by the device usually contains a reference to the browser and an indication of the hardware.
Here are the strings from my Apple Macintosh laptop, my iPhone and my iPad:
Laptop:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6 Safari/605.1.15
iPhone:
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 15_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1
iPad:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_6) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6 Safari/605.1.15
I am surprised to see the Laptop and iPad report nearly the same User Agent string. The iPhone is clearly identified as distinct.
In all three cases, the Safari browser is correctly identified near at the end of the strings.
Feel free to try out my stack at:
https://bobcole.on-rev.com/PlatformWeb/PlatformWeb.html

I'll leave the web app on my server for a while but I might remove it some time in the future.
I don't have any way to run this web app on Windows or Linux so other I'll have to leave it up to others to respond with their results.
It will be interesting to see if Android devices can be identified.

The stack is fairly simple (below).
Enjoy,
Bob

LiveCode 10.0.0-dp-3
MacOS 12.5 (Monterey)
MacBook Pro (Chip: Apple M1 Max)
PlatformWeb.livecode.zip
(2.24 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Notes:
When using this stack in the IDE, the User Agent string may appear differently. For example, on my laptop, the string appears as: LiveCode (MacOS)
The stack does not work in a browser window when deployed with the Test menu or Test button in LC 10.0.0-dp-3 on my Mac laptop.
The stack does work after saving as a standalone app and moving it to a LiveCode enabled web server like on-rev.com (link above)

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 am

Hey-Ho, and Hello from my Samsung Galaxy:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 11) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/103.0.5060.134 Mobile Safari/537.36

This strikes me as a bit odd as I viewed your web app in the Brave browser.

What is clear is 'Android' . . . congratulations, this DOES detect Android phones.
Last edited by richmond62 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:01 am

djkesler wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:03 am
If there was a way to determine that the app is on an Android device, I am sure I can solve the problem.
How?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

djkesler

Post by djkesler » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:40 pm

Thank you bobcole for giving my problem some thought and effort, I really appreciate it. Sooner or later others will need the strategy that you used to get the information.

Thanks to richmond62 for going to the trouble of verifying the Android response.

My plan is to use answer and password dialogs instead of normal fields. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks again to everyone.

David Kesler

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:10 pm

And, as I am at present fooling around with a laptop running Xubuntu 22.04:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:103.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/103.0

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:08 am

Code: Select all

do "result = navigator.platform;" as javaScript
answer the result
In LCScript 'the platform' when running inside a browser / web deploy returns 'html5' or 'web'
Similarly 'the processor' returns 'js' instead of more useful info such as the actual CPU type the web app is running on.

But you can get lots of that sort of info from the outer web page APIs using do tJS as javaSCript and then checking 'the result'

do "result = window.navigator.userAgent;" as javaScript
answer the result
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

bobcole

Post by bobcole » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:31 am

I implemented your two "do ... as javaScript" statements in the attached stack.

Running in the IDE, the platform shows as "MacOS" as expected on my Mac laptop.
Testing in a web browser, using LC's "the platform" shows as "web" and
Testing in a web browser, the "do ... as javaScript" platform shows as "MacIntel" (surprisingly).
Conclusion: be careful when determining which source of your platform variable to use.

Thanks for providing those examples!
Bob
Web JS Platform and User Agent.livecode.zip
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Kangaroo SW

Post by Kangaroo SW » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:56 am

Hello Bob

You can also use this link to see what gets reported by JavaScript.
On my macOS ARM mac some info is wrong eg. the platform and the system version ?

https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/tryit.a ... ef_nav_all

Cheers
Kangaroo

djkesler

Post by djkesler » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:34 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone that has joined this tread. It has been most helpful.

Here are some of the things I have learned about the current implementation of Livecode html5 (10.0.0 dp4) while running on Android devices(at least the ones I have access to.)

1. The normal LC field does not work reliably with any browser I have tried, Chrome, FireFox, Opera, Opera-lite, or Brave. The keyboard does not display reliably, and the "insert cursor" has issues.

2. A work-around that I have employed is to determine that the browser is actually running on an Android device. Big thanks to bobcole for the idea to use $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]. I don't know where he found this in the documentation, I haven't been able to locate it(the _USER_AGENT part), but it works!

3. When the result of $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"] contains "Android" then I use the Ask dialogs to fill the fields with the information needed. Unfortunately, some of the older Android versions, like "Lollipop", even the ask dialogs don't work very well.

4. I have put together a little app to test the native field and the Ask dialog. If you have a chance and have Android devices, please try this little app and save your result. I will compile the findings on the versions of Android that LC field/asks work. If you include your forum name when you save the information, I can thank all those that participated. I suspect there are variations with the different browsers also.

https://www.mnonation.com/android/testandroid.html

Thanks to everyone.
David Kesler

bobcole

Post by bobcole » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:09 pm

2. A work-around that I have employed is to determine that the browser is actually running on an Android device. Big thanks to bobcole for the idea to use $_SERVER["HTTP_USER_AGENT"]. I don't know where he found this in the documentation, I haven't been able to locate it(the _USER_AGENT part), but it works!
David:
Open the LiveCode dictionary and look for $_SERVER.
I have a file on my server (at on-rev LiveCode Hosting) that loops through the $_SERVER array and returns each line.
You can try it out here: https://morrevbon.com/listVars.lc
I'm glad you got your application to work!
Bob

Here are the contents of that file:

<?lc
command outputRow pLabel, pValue
?>
	<tr>
		<td>
			<b>
				<?lc put pLabel ?>
			</b>
		</td>
		<td>
			<?lc put pValue ?>
		</td>
	</tr>
<?lc
end outputRow
?>

<html>
<body>
<table>
<?lc
	repeat for each key tKey in $_SERVER
		outputRow tKey, $_SERVER[tKey]
	end repeat
?>
</table>
</body>
</html>

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:46 pm

Kangaroo SW wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:56 am
You can also use this link to see what gets reported by JavaScript.
On my macOS ARM mac some info is wrong eg. the platform and the system version ?

https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/tryit.a ... ef_nav_all
It also returns the wrong system version for me, I'm running OS 12 (Monterey.) So I found this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/649 ... os-big-sur which basically says it's a bug in the reporting agent.

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:18 pm

djkesler wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:34 pm
4. I have put together a little app to test the native field and the Ask dialog. If you have a chance and have Android devices, please try this little app and save your result.
I sent four reports, using two devices and two Android keyboards. The results on your app duplicate my own experience in a web app I've built. Since there wasn't much space to type, in brief I'll summarize here:

SwiftKey normally auto-types spaces after you choose a suggested word. It also allows you to type spaces from the keyboard. On mobile, spaces never worked with either method so all words ran together. In fact, no keyboard entries were recognized at all, the only way to enter text in the field was to choose an auto-suggestion. Punctuation also could not be entered since that requires keyboard entry. The cursor appeared at the correct location however. (Since SwiftKey has so many preferences, different settings might have changed these results. This is my preferred keyboard because it literally thinks for you after it acquires enough info about how you write, so I didn't want to change it.)

On GBoard spaces and letters could be typed, but after a space the next word was auto-capitalized. To type a lower case letter you have to toggle the shift key twice. The cursor was misaligned, and appeared at the beginning of a word even though keyboard entries were added after it. Since I rarely use this keyboard it was using default settings.

The results were the same on both my old tablet and my new phone. In all four tests, the answer dialog worked normally and allowed normal typing, and auto-suggestions worked as you'd expect.

Return to “HTML5”