Need a Database Solution

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Jack Ultimo

Need a Database Solution

Post by Jack Ultimo » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:58 pm

Ok, since I am new to Revolution and learning as I go I thought I would ask this question so please tolerate my lack of knowledge for now.

The project I am working on is like an employee database. I need to host this information on the user's computer and not online because there is sensitve personal data and photos (lots of photos and maybe a few videos). Plus lots of cross referenced items.

I saw the example database stack and it is along the lines of what I want to achieve. So my question is...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set up a database of this type so it runs effectively on the user's computer, or should I just follow along the lines of the Rev Online Database Tutorial Stack to be safe? I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction. :)

Thanks in Advance!
Always look out for #1 and Don't step in #2! :)

pali

New bee about database

Post by pali » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi,
I am quite unexperienced too, about databases, but for the last 8 months I have been converting my system takeing care of issueing / printing tickets to theatre performances / festivals, from a text based database (just saving data on text files!) to a more professional system using SQL technologi. In the matter of facts, I am using the interface and inplement of this technologie offered by MySql. At http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ you can download (for FREE! No strings attached) all what you will need to run a database on your computer or, if you wish, online or on a server using your (several) computer as terminal. You will have to download:
1) MySQL Database Server and Client ( 1 file)
2) MySQL Administrator
3) MySQL Query Browser

You down load the files for your platform and install them. The installation is pretty straight forward (especially on apple macs, which I use).

All the files are installed to the "root" level of your PC/MAC, and you will have to have administrator privileges to access/create/modify the database. Your Revolution enviroment have plenty of insruction to access this kind of database.
Start with the Mysql administrator (remember, first start the server, starting up your machine after installation). Connect to your computer (localhost, root, no password) then look around to understand the system. Every "database" and table you create her are accessible from the Revoultion programming enviroment. This database tecnologi is very fast, handles big amounts of data and make all your data invisible!

Hope this can help.

Pali

marielle
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by marielle » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:28 pm

And if using MySQL is too heavy for you, you can always try SQLite. You will find two demo stacks in the open stacks gallery

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:03 pm

If your database isn't too big (about thousands of records) you can use cards and custom properties.

What kind of database to use greatly depends on your needs, so maybe you need to be clearer, about what your database will contain.
eg.
Number of records?
Number of data fields (eg. name, surname, occupation)?
Amount of data per field?
Does it need pictures?
Does it need other binary data?
Encryption?
etc.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

Return to “Databases”