Who is using FrontBase and Valentina?

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

AlexAdams

Who is using FrontBase and Valentina?

Post by AlexAdams » Sat May 09, 2009 2:36 am

I've got a prototype app that I want to hook up to a database server and to a local database. One of the servers I need to connect to is FrontBase. Is anyone connecting to FrontBase? Is anyone using FrontBase as an embedded database? How do you like Rev's interaction with it?

I'm also considering Valentina for an embedded solution and as a server. I have the same questions about Valentina as I do FrontBase. Anyone?

For those of you using MySQL and SQLite, I am looking at FrontBase and Valentina partially because I will be storing large BLOBs in a database and these two do that. I have had no success in storing large BLOBs in MySQL in other apps.

I look forward to your feedback.

Alex
Alex Adams
(a)2 Technology Parnters
alex@a2technology.com
www.a2technology.com
www.promisstudio.com
831-726-8013

Bernard

Post by Bernard » Wed May 13, 2009 9:53 am

I have used Frontbase with Rev in the past, but not in a released application, and I wasn't particularly concerned with blobs.

Whilst Frontbase has an amazing range of features (including working as an embedded database or as a clustered server database), from my questioning of them before it seems that if you are going to be embedding their database they want you to get a royalty license, whilst if you are using the database on the server they are prepared to give you a license for free.

I may have misinterpreted that, so if you are planning on using FB I suggest you write to them and tell them your planned usage to see what their license terms will be.

I've always found the instructions to get Rev working Valentina to be unclear. I know there are some long-time Rev users who use Valentina. They must be more patient than me. Also as far as I remember, the significant thing about Valentina is that it does not have transactions (hence no commit/rollback). Again, I could be wrong - it's some time since I last tried to get Valentina to work with Rev.

Return to “Databases”