connection refused

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

outstripp

connection refused

Post by outstripp » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:24 am

I am starting to play with rev and mysql on onRev. I created a tiny database from work (a university) and was able to add data using Navicat. I then created a small stack with a data table and using the Query Builder was able to display the data.

When I tried to use the same stack at home I get a connection refused error. Navicat can't connect either, but cPanel and phpMyAdmin can.

I am too inexperienced in this stuff to figure out why, but is it possible my provider is blocking the connection or adding something to it that corrupts the request?

Outstripp
outstripp

Janschenkel
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: connection refused

Post by Janschenkel » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:39 am

Your server adminiustrator has probably blocked access to the MySQL database from outside IP-addresses. This is generally considered a Good Thing as hackers always try to get into the server in various ways; the more open ports, the more vectors of attack...
Which leaves you with two options: convince the administartor to allow such communication, or add a third tier to your solution: let the stack talk to a .php or some other cgi script, which in turn talks to the database and transfers the results back to you. My advice is to do the latter: once multiple users are accessing the same database, it is important that the same business logic is applied to the data, even if they're using a older version of the user interface.

Jan Schenkel.
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

outstripp

Re: connection refused

Post by outstripp » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:53 am

Sorry. Figured it out myself. My IP number had changed after a power failure and was not listed under Remote Access Hosts in the cPanel.
outstripp

Return to “Databases”