Database functions fail on standalone

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer

Database functions fail on standalone

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:28 am

Some more stange behavior:

I have been working on a simple app that connects to a mysql database and makes some queries. Well and good. Works fine from the IDE using most recent version of the community edition 7.03

If I save the application as a standalone, database functions fail. Here are the debug errors I get:

Type: Function: error in function handler
Object: button 'Close' of card 'database' of stack '/path/to/mystandalone/database'
Line: put revOpenDatabases() into connectList
Line Num: 13
Hint: revOpenDatabases

and another one:

Type: Function: error in function handler
Object: button 'Connect' of card 'database' of stack '/path/to/my/standalone/database'
Line: put revOpenDatabase('MySQL', tDatabaseAddress, tDatabaseName, tDatabaseUser, tDatabasePassword) into tResult
Line Num: 53
Hint: revOpenDatabase

Previously I was having issues with the standalone not adding the mysql drivers, but I finally resolved that only to find my db functions were still not working.

If I create the exact same application using Livecode 4.6.4, which I have a license for, then the standalone works fine.

Has anyone experienced similar behaivor? I would love to use the more recent version.

Klaus

Re: Database functions fail on standalone

Post by Klaus » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi ghettocottage,

déjà vue? :D

This sounds exactly as if the database externals are missing or did not load at all!?
Do you have a folder "externals" in the directory with your standalone after compiling?

Best

Klaus

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi Klaus. Yes, this time there is an Externals folder for my standalone. Inside, there is a file called revdb.so, and a folder called database_drivers which has a file called dbmysql.so

the same is true of the standalone I made with the 4.6 version, but the 4.6 version standalone works with no errors.

I tried moving the 4.6 version database_drivers to the 7.03 standalone, but it still did not work. When I move the 7.03 drivers to the 4.6 standalone, the standalone fails.

So: database drivers loading fine now. db function errors still happening on standalones created with version 7.03

I also downloaded the "book database" example stack, and saved that as a standalone, and had the similar database function errors.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:41 pm

There are a couple of bugs in the database about this, they are both marked as "in progress".
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:23 pm

There are a couple of bugs in the database about this, they are both marked as "in progress".
That helps to know that. I can stop troubleshooting and wait for the next version. Meanwhile, perhaps I can just focus on Livecode Server for the time.

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how far back one needs to go to have working database applications? My 4.6 version works.

What is the most recent version that works?

ghettocottage

Post by ghettocottage » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:41 am

To answer my own question: it appears that version 6.7.3 is the newest version that can create a working (database) standalone for me on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine.

Return to “Databases”