Solved: Using field based data for SQLite Insert?

Creating desktop or client-server database solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bmcgonag

Solved: Using field based data for SQLite Insert?

Post by bmcgonag » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:11 pm

I have my application successfully creating a storage folder and sqlite database, as well as the necessary table. I am now trying to enter data from the user into the table. I have a variable CNStorageLocation that holds a path selected by the user. I am checking to make sure the variable actually has the path and it does...but my INSERT statement must have something wrong with it, because the path is never actually inserted into my table.

Here's the code.

Code: Select all

# add the user entered storeage location from Settings into the main database
on addMainLocToDB
   put getDBaseID() into tDBaseID
   answer "Selected Storage Location for main DB is " & CNStorageLocation

put "INSERT into main_store_path (main_path) VALUES (CNStorageLocation)" into tSQL

revExecuteSQL tDBaseID, tSQL
end addMainLocToDB
I don't get any errors when I run this, and when I just put the SQL into a sqlite application (replacing the variable with a path) it successfully adds the path to the table.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by bmcgonag on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SparkOut

Re: Using field based data for SQLite Insert?

Post by SparkOut » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:25 pm

If you

answer tSQL
before the revExecuteSQL line, what do you get? Do you see how the literal string "CNStorageLocation" is being used? You need to get the variable to be resolved by concatenating the string literal with the variable as in:

put "INSERT into main_store_path (main_path) VALUES (" & CNStorageLocation & ")" into tSQL
if you answer tSQL again you should see the difference in the insert query.

You may also need to check the scope of the CNStorageLocation variable, to ensure it can be accessed from within your handler (declared as a script local or global)
HTH

bmcgonag

Re: Using field based data for SQLite Insert?

Post by bmcgonag » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks so much!

Yes, I had the CNStorageLocation variable set as Global, and it was coming back with the correct information in my handler. Thanks for pointing out that I was putting the variable in as a string literal. That was the issue.

I modified that line as you suggested, then found one other issue. It needed single quotes around the variable as well. Here's the final version of that line.

put "INSERT into main_store_path (main_path) VALUES ('" & CNStorageLocation & "')" into tSQL

Ultravibe

Re: Solved: Using field based data for SQLite Insert?

Post by Ultravibe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:29 am

Hi guys!
I have a global problem with LiveCode and SQLite working together:
1) I put the data that i entered in text field into database. This data contains russian charcters. But when i check same database in SQLite expert application, instead of russian characters i see some "??????" or something else, but not original text that i entered. Promblems with encoding text?
2) I put the data into database using SQLite Expert application. This data is also contains russian charcters. When i check in livecode application by database query there are also "strange" characters (like "?????" or smthg else)

How it can be fixed?
P.S. Russian characters (((((((

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:35 am

Hi Ultravibe,

I am neither a SQL-expert nor an Unicode expert.

Have a look at this discussion. It looks like the problem is with Unicode and how to solve it.

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nab ... 88182.html

Maybe one of the Unicode/SQL experts chimes in.

Kind regards
Bernd

Ultravibe

Post by Ultravibe » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:14 pm

bn, thank you!
That post gives me exact info about how to fix the problem with encoding!!!!!!!

Return to “Databases”