Community Web Site: livecode.org

Collaborate on tools, libraries, and applications beyond the IDE

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Community Web Site: livecode.org

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:55 pm

LiveCode.com and LiveCode.org are now separate sites, with the former focusing on the needs of professional devs shipping proprietary apps and the latter focusing on those participating in open source development with LiveCode Community Edition.

We're beginning to set up tools and workflows which will allow us to flesh out the .org site into a very useful resource for our community.

You can help this process by posting your suggestions here for things you feel are very important to have at the LiveCode Community site.

Please keep suggestions specific and productive so that they may become actionable. We can't guarantee we can implement everything, and even the one with the strongest interest may take some time to roll out with our volunteer team.

But I believe that having a transparent planning process that invites community participation is essential to making a truly useful resource.

Let's brainstorm here and see what we can come up, and which of those ideas we can build, and in what priority order.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

[-hh]

Re: Community Web Site: livecode.org

Post by [-hh] » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Good idea, thanks for all your efforts.
I'll reserve some time to help for late August. For now just a few notes:

revOnline/livecodeshare:
  • Add a link to livecodeshare.
  • A short description of the access via LC's toolbar ("Sample Stacks") with a screenshot could follow.
  • Also the "liveNet plugin" and how to access it could be described (it's still named 'GoRevNet').
Links to livecode.org:
  • The liveNet plugin could in turn link directly to "Sample Stacks" (as revToolbar does) and could also link to livecode.org.
  • LC's help menu could also link to livecode.org.
shiftLock happens

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:42 am

Regarding the LiveNet plugin:

I think I may have mentioned this before, but the big icons really need tooltips. I hate having to click them to find out what they do.
(and I think you may have replied that tooltips are an artifact of bad ui design) nonetheless...

The 'This Week In LiveCode' series only goes back (currently) to #33. Why are you arbitrarily truncating at 10 entries?
And if you do want to limit it to 10, maybe the final entry should be https://livecode.github.io/this-week-in-livecode/ so that the rest of them are available without having to hack the browser url.

Enhancement request: the ability to filter News Feeds to s single source and/or sort the source column.

The Stack Files section: is this Yet Another revOnline Alternative? Why not just post those stacks into revOnline and point that way?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:54 am

mwieder wrote:Regarding the LiveNet plugin:

I think I may have mentioned this before, but the big icons really need tooltips. I hate having to click them to find out what they do.
(and I think you may have replied that tooltips are an artifact of bad ui design) nonetheless...
My email response to your original suggestion about adding tooltips wasn't quite so absolute. I tend to use them in productivity tools when the number of icons may be too large to be otherwise indistinguishable, or when there's a risk of losing data or significant time, or when there's an opportunity to provide useful additional information specific to the pointer context not otherwise conveniently available. In other apps I often see them as a distraction, just more noise for the relatively few users who might see them; ideally we should not require people to slow down, stop moving their mouse, and then wait for a label to read. I feel a good design should simply invite them to click with confidence and without hesitation, encouraging bold exploration. If doing so turns out to be a serious letdown the design needs more than a tooltip can fix.

In LiveNet there are only five icons, none of them perform destructive actions, and the time it takes to stop and hover the mouse to wait for the tooltip to appear is longer than the time to click it to see if the result is so disappointing you need to click something else.

There is one exceptional argument for tooltips, though: when used in tools that are compatible with screen readers they can serve a critical role for the vision-impaired. Unfortunately LiveCode is not compatible with most screen readers at this time, so no upside for us there.

All that said, "hate" is a pretty strong word, and we need more love in the world, so I just added tooltips for you as you'd originally spec'd. :)
The 'This Week In LiveCode' series only goes back (currently) to #33. Why are you arbitrarily truncating at 10 entries?
And if you do want to limit it to 10, maybe the final entry should be https://livecode.github.io/this-week-in-livecode/ so that the rest of them are available without having to hack the browser url.
I'm making no decisions there, just using the RSS feed as delivered from the link near the top-right of Peter's page:
https://livecode.github.io/this-week-in ... de-42.html
Enhancement request: the ability to filter News Feeds to s single source and/or sort the source column.
Noted - thanks.
The Stack Files section: is this Yet Another revOnline Alternative? Why not just post those stacks into revOnline and point that way?
LiveNet premiered community stack sharing before revOnline existed, and while the latter was broken for many years LiveNet continued to work all this time, so I've maintained it as a convenient and reliable way to easily distribute a modest curated set of plugins. I'm happy to add others if you want to help maintain the repo, and depending on where revOnline winds up I may eventually even remove it. But at the moment I can't find anything in revOnline's rather strange search, so until it gets its long-awaited overhaul LiveNet's repo will remain. At one time I thought it might be ideal to rid the core team of the burden of maintaining a community repo and make it fully community-supported like CPAN, CRAN, etc. But now with Widgets and the suggestion of a comprehensive repo + store, for the moment I'm in a holding pattern to see what materializes.

This interest in LiveNet is flattering but since it's a third-party project unrelated to the Web site I wonder if perhaps we should make a separate thread for it and try to get this discussion back on the livecode.org?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Community Projects”