LiveCode to Education Industry API- Community project

Share tips, tools, and other resources for helping educators bring LiveCode into the classroom

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

William Jamieson
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
Location: Palo Alto, CA put williamdjamieso into tEmail / put n@gmail.com after tEmail/ revmail tEmail

LiveCode to Education Industry API- Community project

Post by William Jamieson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Today I would like to announce that we are going to be setting up a meeting on Thursday, October 6th, 9am PST to talk about how we can create an integration between LiveCode and the standardized eLearning compatibility systems such as xAPI, TinCan, LTI etc.

The goal of this project is to allow LiveCode to be a seamlessly integrated tool for creating education technology. Most education web platforms abide by one of these standard protocols, and to create professional education software, we need to make that bridge too. If we can put our efforts together once and distribute the labor, all of us will benefit. This will be an open-source project we can gift to the community when we are finished. This also allows for future growth and contribution from others too.

If you would like to be a part of this, then please send me a message at "williamdjamieson@" & tGooglesEmailSystemName & ".com" and let me know if 1) you would like to contribute 2) you can attend the meeting, or 3) if you aren't sure but find the project interesting and would like to stay up to date.

I plan to use Google Hangouts for the meeting and will keep everyone in the loop via group emails unless everyone has a more preferred method of communication such as a Slack or Facebook group.

Thank you all for your consideration.

-Will

(PS if the meeting time doesn't work for you please suggest a couple alternative meeting times that do and we will try to get as many people on the call as possible. Thank you)

ToddFabacher

Re: LiveCode to Education Industry API- Community project

Post by ToddFabacher » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Is there a Google Hangout link setup? You can preschedule them and we can join from the URL.

--Todd

emdalton

Post by emdalton » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Sorry I missed the meeting. I'm very interested in this topic. I'm now working for Moodle (open-source LMS) full-time and could help provide testing and samples of use cases, if that would help.
Elizabeth

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:47 pm

I just saw this post today so missed the meeting. I am interested in this as well. There was another thread on this recently on the use list so you may find others who are interested in this there.

What was the outcome of the meeting. I am interested in being involved.

Thank

Martin Koob

ToddFabacher

Post by ToddFabacher » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:01 pm

Hello Martin and Bill and other educators,

Actually we have been diligent little elves working away since the hangout meeting. Based on research, we have decided to focus on 2 interchange formats: LTI and xAPI [from TinCan and SCORM].

We would like in the near future to have another online meetup where we can share our findings and hopefully create a path where everyone can work together to get to our destination quicker. There was a desire to see this move forward at the meeting, but most had limited resources to commit.

So, Digital Pomegranate will supply the resources, time and money to script a LiveCode Import/Export interface to LTI and xAPI based Apps. Richard suggested the MIT Open Source license model as the best option for the community and we all fully agreed. We are currently learning all we can about the formats, the best way to organize them in LiveCode and how to translate the API calls to an easy LiveCode syntax. Since we are not experts and in actuality know little of these APIs, we need 2-3 weeks to begin to create the middleware.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if ANYONE has a system which we can run query test on that would help us out greatly.

--Todd, William and the Digital Pomegranate Team

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi Todd et al

Thanks for all your work on this for the benefit of the community. I would be willing to contribute where I can. I have done some research on TinCan/xAPI and can see how the learning statements would be helpful to track students progress and then annotations on their work in my application. I haven't done any reading about LTI to see if it had similar features. I am glad you are supporting both in your endeavour. I will look at LTI to see if it would suit my purposes.

I would be interested in participating in the next online meeting.

Thanks again for your generous contributions to the community.

Martin

wprothero

Post by wprothero » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Is there any activity, or results from this effort? I am interested in LMS integration and it seems like a worthy effort. I haven't heard any news for a year. What's up?

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:52 pm

Hi

Including LMS in my application is still in my roadmap but I am not there yet so I haven't investigated this much. It seemed others were further along in their research. I was looking at TinCan(xAPI) but I was just at the research stage to see if that would meet my requirements and you I think were looking at LTI. I have not time into this since as I have been focussing on other features. It seemed like Todd Fabacher was the furthest ahead on working on an API for LTI and xAPI. I was waiting to see what they came up with.

Maybe we should schedule another google hangout meeting with Todd and see what the state of things are for all of us and any others that are interested. I missed the first one so would like to make sure I can be involved in this.
wprothero wrote:Is there any activity, or results from this effort? I am interested in LMS integration and it seems like a worthy effort. I haven't heard any news for a year. What's up?
Martin

wprothero

Post by wprothero » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Martin:
Thanks for the response.
I'll be on the road for 9 days, but after that I'll be available. I'd love to see this project move forward.

Best.

Martin Koob

Post by Martin Koob » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:55 pm

Hi all

I got a notification from the forum saying that therer was a new reply to this post from oliyanabeth.

It included the following link:
https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=28034

I checked it out and I don't see any new posts in this forum since 2017. Did the can can't find oliyanabeth as an author.

Did someone create a post and then delete it?

Martin Koob

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:12 pm

Hi Martin,

it was SPAM, so I deleted it.

Best

Klaus

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:15 pm

There has been an awful long time between the penultimate posting and the last:

1. Has this initiative died in the water?

2. Am I missing something (something
I am quite good at)?

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:59 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:15 pm
There has been an awful long time between the penultimate posting and the last:

1. Has this initiative died in the water?
The original post in this thread was timestamped Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:13 pm.

As they say, "We hold these things to be self evident."
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Educational Outreach”