LC-problems on Windows

If you find an issue in LiveCode but are having difficulty pinning down a reliable recipe or want to sanity-check your findings with others, this is the place.

Please have one thread per issue, and try to summarize the issue concisely in the thread title so others can find related issues here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

AxWald

LC-problems on Windows

Post by AxWald » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi,

2 problems I encounter(ed) repeatedly both on a Win2K3-R2 server, and on my Win7-64 workstation, using LC community versions from the 6.* line (up to 6.7.1):
  1. When installing a new version, it can happen (i.e. it doesn't happen every time!) that the new version isn't registered properly. Means, if you double-click a stack the old IDE will start.
    Uninstalling anything, or only the old versions, will not always help. Not once I ended with LC not registered anymore at all (i.e. double-clicking a stack will bring up a window asking what program to use to open this file ...).
    Usually manually editing the registry is required to cure this. That's no fun.
  2. Sometimes the dictionary freezes LC. Completely freezes it - needs to be shut down via task manager, and all unsaved work is gone. Horror!
    I work around by using "BvG Doku 2", but that's not how it should be.
I tried hard to find a way to reproduce this, to get more info about where the problem could be located, but in vain.

While writing this, I have a dictionary open (6.7.1) and do all kinds of searches - and it works like a charm. But I bet, as soon as I'll do some serious coding, and have 2 hours worth of unsaved code, it'll strike again :/

And I'm installing 6.7.1 now on my server (had 6.7.0 still). Let's check: For sure it works flawlessly - you cannot beat Murphy ...

Maybe some other ppl can add some info to this? Because both are annoying things that shouldn't happen, IMHO. Nothing game-breaking, but very annoying.
Sorry, I cannot find a way to reproduce. Maybe YOU are the one that can?

I hope that stuff like this is what this "Bug Triage" forum is meant for, and that posting this here is correct.

Have a good time!

PS: Might be that the installer problem is solved already, but I didn't find any info in the release notes ...
Livecode programming until the cat hits the fan ...

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LC-problems on Windows

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi,

Perhaps the checkForAltKey message is causing you problems. This message takes a lot of CPU power. I have killed it in a frontScript.

Yes, it sometimes happens that the installer or uninstaller breaks the file associations. The uninstaller is in .setup.exe and is very bad. I always delete it immediately after installation. I remove old versions of LiveCode manually and let the new installer replace the old file associations.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Mark wrote:Perhaps the checkForAltKey message is causing you problems.
I haven't come across that, and the Dictionary turns up empty when looking for it. Where is that defined?
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 pm

It's a repeated message sent by the dictionary. In older versions it went haywire and stacked up dozens at a time. I put in a bug report about it and it was fixed, I no longer see quite as much activity.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Patrick Wilson

Post by Patrick Wilson » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:32 am

The LiveCode Dictionary has always often disappeared for me in the 6.x versions I use on Windows and cannot be accessed. Seems to happen sometimes when I press the back button while a definition is "maximized". The Code Editor will also sometimes disappear. I frequently Alt+tab between all my windows, and use the dictionary constantly.

My work around has always been to right click the task bar icon for theLiveCode Dictionary or Code Editor and choose close. Only then can I reopen the them.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi,

finally I found out how to reproduce the dictionary problem - after again losing 2hs worth of work ...
To do it:

Open dictionary.
Select text, works best if selecting the header section (look @ pict).
Repeat until it freezes. Will not take long.
LC_Dict_bug.jpg
LC dict frozen after selecting the header
This is LC 6.7.8 Comm., Win 10-64. Happened with Win 7-64 and earlier versions as well.

"checkForAltKey" would run continuously with 6.7.8 still, but I killed it in the dict stack (in every dict stack since I found it in the msg watcher ;-) ).

Have fun, happy Easter!

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:36 pm

AxWald,

I have a plug-in with the following handler in the front script:

Code: Select all

on checkForAltKey
end checkForAltKey
That kills it for every LiveCode version without a need to change the dictionary.

Kind regards,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi,
Mark wrote:I have a plug-in with the following handler in the front script:

Code: Select all

on checkForAltKey
end checkForAltKey
That kills it for every LiveCode version without a need to change the dictionary.
Thx a lot! It works! :)

And additionally, I had reason to learn about this plugin stuff - something I ever ignored before ;-)

Have a good time!

Return to “Bug Triage”