Screen Size/Monitor Depth

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Ricklionhart

Screen Size/Monitor Depth

Post by Ricklionhart » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:18 am

Firstly let me say "WOW!!!!!" to the current offer I received from Rev via email, which will let me finally buy it for £45 ($112 AU) instead of the normal $550 AU. I've persevered with Trial versions for quite some time now, I wanted to buy it but $550 was just way too much for a tool that I use for mental exercise, not profit. Thanks Rev!!!

One thing I've never been quite able to do which I think Rev should have built-in support for is changing the monitor depth/screen size. Why can't I easily have my stack change the screen size to 800x600?

Since Rev has support for AppleScript, I assume I can do it reasonably easily by executing an AppleScript to that effect, but does that work on PC platforms as well? If not, is there some way I can achieve the same thing using some PC equivalent system, after checking which platform I'm using?

I'm pretty sure that everyone has wanted to do this sometime in Rev, and I'd be fairly positive someone has found a good solution to it. Any help out there please?
Last edited by Ricklionhart on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:56 am

Hi Ricklionhart (how was the last crusade? ;-)),

I don't think that Rev should have the ability to change the screen resolution.
I personally would NOT like if an app changes MY resolution automatically without asking me.

Maybe it is possible with AppleScript but for Win you will have to use some third party tools to do so.

In any way this will be an ugly hack in my eyes :-)

Regards

Klaus

xApple

Post by xApple » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:09 pm

I agree with Klaus, if your application must change the resolution, then it's your interface that isn't thought out correctly, not the user's resolution settings. It's kinda against the human interface design guidelines. Why would you want to intrude on the user's choice like that, why do you need to change the screen resolution ?

Ricklionhart

Post by Ricklionhart » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:53 am

I'm thinking mainly gaming here, with the option to run in either full-screen or windowed mode. If all the graphic elements making up the game, side consoles, etc must be created to a certain size and layout, its a lot of work to create alternate graphics and layout for every conceivable monitor size available these days and pick the set that matches the users current config. Far easier to give them the choice of windowed or full screen, and then if they choose full screen, resize the screen to the say 800x600 that the game interface was designed for.

Besides, its not easy to even *design* a layout for a 1024x768 screen. That's the max size of mine, and because Rev doesn't have scrollbars on the window design layout if the size of the card is too big to fit on screen, it means that if I create a stack that size, I can't see the bottom 30 or so pixels of the stack (agreed, I shouldn't be putting anything that close to the edge anyway but the point remains valid).

-----

Off-topic: The £45 instead of £199 offer runs out 31st July, and includes 3 months of updates free. Any takers on the bet that there is a new, major, release of Revolution (maybe 3.0??) scheduled for early November? Either that or its about to be abandoned entirely? A major discount like that doesn't happen for no reason...

xApple

Post by xApple » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:56 am

OK yes in that particular case it is legitimate... so long as you warn the user and give him a choice... there is however no way of doing it on a PC...

Concerning those 30 pixels try this command:

Code: Select all

set the rect of this stack to "0,0,1024,768"
hide menubar

Return to “Multimedia”