3D Visual Simulations

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

InfoCentral

3D Visual Simulations

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:30 am

Is it possible to build a training product that includes 3D Visual Simulations like a working motor or some other device showing the moving parts etc. in Studio?
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

RRobert

Re: 3D Visual Simulations

Post by RRobert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:08 am

Why not? You could use Quicktime videos, images or create the animations by yourself via Rev.

Robert

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:21 pm

What about a call to an external program? I am thinking about a simulator here instead of a video simulation. Someone remarked that Blender has both the 3D modeling and game engine built into it. I never thought about it before but he is right. Then I thought that Swift3D would be another good alternative too. So here is my thought on it. Built the core presentation in RevStudio with external calls to Blender etc. Not sure how well the game engine works in RevStudio for simulations???
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Hi Infocentral,

what exactly do you mean by "call an external progamm"?
Of course you can simply launch another app, but then you can hardly control it from Rev!
Besides the fact that this might be a poor user experience ;-)

But as far as I remember Swift3D outputs Flash, right?
In that case you could use the RevBrowser object to display this Flash file right inside of your Rev app.

Best

Klaus

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi Infocentral,
look here
http://franklin3d.com/
they are working on an external for Rev that is based on Irrlicht. They are in Beta, I don't know how good it is. They charge $300, so I guess they at least plan to deliver something decent.
regards
Bernd

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Klaus wrote:what exactly do you mean by "call an external progamm"?
Of course you can simply launch another app, but then you can hardly control it from Rev!
Besides the fact that this might be a poor user experience ;-)
Some authoring/presentation software will let you call an external program to do a task and then once closed will revert right back to the host program. Some will actually let you build a window within the host app for this program; others merely turn over the display to the called program. And of course some don't allow you to make external calls period.

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:34 pm

bn wrote:They charge $300, so I guess they at least plan to deliver something decent.
They are charging $300 for a UI/bridge between RenRev and the FREE Irrlicht Game Engine? Whatever... I noticed there is an Animation Engine as a plug-in purchase. I thought that RunRev had that feature built into the core program? When I was looking at purchasing this program it was advertised as being able to create Myst type games.

bn

Post by bn » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:50 am

Hi InfoCentral,
you can build Myst-type games in the version of Rev you bought. It is just not 3-D and the fancy stuff. You can do quite some animation in Rev, it takes learning and time. This is where Animation Enging comes into play. It is a library of Rev handlers that are optimized for animation. It gives you effects you would have to program yourself, like acceleration, deceleration and trajectories and stuff like that. Nothing that you couldn't do yourself. Animation engine just keeps you from having to develop the details. They have a trial verision and you can look at it. But it is not 3D.

And assuming that Franklin 3D will work as advertised, consider that the $300 include the license to build standalones with this. In other develompment systems you often pay for deployment of standalones.
But you are definitely free to develop an external for whatever 3D engine comes to your mind and offer it for free :)

As a good site to see what kind of graphic effects are possible in Rev have a look at Scott Rossi's site
http://www.tactilemedia.com/
go to software, at the right you have Revolution tutorials and demos. It is not 3D Animation but nonetheless stunning.

regards
Bernd

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:46 am

Thanks and that site does look inspiring. I am just getting started with RunRev but I am really liking this community and look forward to learning more. Thanks again!

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 am

So RevStudio doesn't support 3D file import or any kind at this point? You have to purchase that Franklin 3d program to add these features?

BvG

Post by BvG » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:55 pm

you could buy franklin3d
you could create an external yourself
you could pay someone to create an external for you
you could import it, and manipulate it or show it in a field (raw text/binary)
you could import it, and render it using the graphic tools (static, and no texture support)
you could import it, and render it, and do slow movements or rotations (for example, animation engine has 3d rotation code for points)
you could create a movie of your 3d, and show that (this is what myst did for it's more complex 3d stuff)
you could use the browser object, and use java in that
you could use the browser object, and use flash in that
you could use the browser object, and use html5 3d in that (not yet supported on windows (uses internet explorer there))
you could call an external program to show the 3d natively, but in a different window
other approaches that i haven't thought of

So as you see "needing to buy" completely depends on what you actually want to do with your 3d.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:28 pm

So to make a long story short, no Runtime Revolution does not directly support 3D file import.

RRobert

Post by RRobert » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 am

InfoCentral wrote:So to make a long story short, no Runtime Revolution does not directly support 3D file import.
True, Rev does not natively support 3D formats like AutoCard DXF, DirectX, Wavefront OBJ and so on.

Robert

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 am

But it is getting those capabilities as well as a game engine through plug-ins. That is a big plus and a step in the right direction. It seems that everything is going the 3D route. Even Photoshop CS4 adopted 3D functions. Can't wait to see what CS5 Suite brings to the table. I believe it is going to be even more 3D friendly...

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Perhaps Swift3D and RunRev would be a good mix...

Return to “Multimedia”